Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,716.93
-0.10%
DAX
26,112.89
-0.06%
CAC 40
8,543.93
+0.41%
STOXX 50
6,477.53
+0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 05 November 2019 3:30 pm

Inmarsat rejects call from investor to delay takeover court hearing

By: Alex Daniel

Add as a preferred source on Google
Inmarsat
(Getty Images)

Satellite firm Inmarsat, which is being bought by a private equity-led consortium, has rejected a call by investor Oaktree Capital to delay a takeover court hearing until it has clarity on the status of its US spectrum holdings.

Oaktree, which has a 2.85 per cent stake in Inmarsat, called on the board to delay the 12 November meeting because it said US regulator FCC was likely to make a key ruling which could affect the value of the company shortly.

Read more: Satellite firm Inmarsat ditches dividend ahead of $3.4bn private equity takeover

The spectrum in question is leased to US group Ligado, which has asked the regulator to change the way it can be used.

Inmarsat said it was aware of recent speculation regarding the potential Ligado licence change, and was monitoring developments.

But it said the timing and prospect of revenue or any other value, which would come as a result of its cooperation agreement with the company, remained uncertain.

It said there had been no change since it recommended the $3.4bn £2.6bn) acquisition in March by a consortium comprising Apax Partners, Warburg Pincus and two Canadian pension funds.

Read more

London IPO candidate Utmost sees inflows slide

Pedestrians walk across a modern pedestrian bridge with steel cables and supports over brown water.

Last month, the government gave the green light for the deal after accepting a series of remedies put forward by Inmarsat and its buyers.

The takeover, first announced in March, came under scrutiny from regulators and the government amid concerns about national security.

However, the Competition and Markets Authority gave its approval for the deal in September, stating that there was no risk of a substantial lessening of competition.

Read more: Government intervenes in Inmarsat deal on national security grounds

Inmarsat and the consortium then put forward a series of undertakings, which included a pledge to keep the firm in the UK for several years and a series of measures to help protect sensitive information.

The Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport then said it had decided to accept the undertakings, meaning the deal was not referred to the CMA for a phase two inquiry.

Read more

Takeovers aren’t the reason the London Stock Exchange is shrinking

Canada skyline featuring iconic skyscrapers and modern architecture against a clear blue sky

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Inmarsat

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • London IPO candidate Utmost sees inflows slide

    Investing
    Pedestrians walk across a modern pedestrian bridge with steel cables and supports over brown water.
  • Takeovers aren’t the reason the London Stock Exchange is shrinking

    Opinion
    Canada skyline featuring iconic skyscrapers and modern architecture against a clear blue sky
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • FTSE 100 firm agrees £5.7bn takeover in latest private equity swoop

    Markets
    GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector
  • Hogan Lovells Cadwalader looks to tap transatlantic dealmaking boom following merger

    Legal
    Canada
  • Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

    Markets
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Billionaire Easyjet founder in line for £800m payday from takeover

    Markets
    Easygroup boss Stelios hits out after trademark defeat in London
  • Private equity firms eye valuation gap as City falls to takeovers

    Markets
    The FTSE 100 could face trouble as banks suffer from bond market turmoil.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook