Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,721.23
-0.21%
DAX
26,007.67
-0.32%
CAC 40
8,505.90
+0.05%
STOXX 50
6,444.41
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Sunday 07 July 2019 10:17 pm  |  Updated:  Sunday 07 July 2019 10:20 pm

Inquiry launched into leaked memos branding Trump administration ‘inept’

By: James Warrington

Add as a preferred source on Google
WASHINGTON, DC - JULY 05: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media prior to his departure from the White House July 5, 2019 in Washington, DC. President Trump and the first lady will spend their weekend at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

The government has launched an inquiry into leaked memos that described US President Donald Trump’s administration as “inept” and “uniquely dysfunctional”.

In a series of confidential memos written over the last three years, British ambassador to Washington Sir Kim Darroch reportedly criticised Trump and warned of internal rifts in the White House.

Read more: Trump threatens tariffs on $4bn of EU products

Trump has hit back at Darroch, saying the ambassador “has not served the UK well”.

A Foreign Office spokesperson confirmed that a formal investigation into the leak will be initiated, while foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt said Darroch’s comments were a “personal view” and did not reflect the government’s position.

In the memos, seen by the Mail on Sunday, the ambassador told colleagues that to get through to the US President “you need to make your points simple, even blunt”.

“We don’t really believe this administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional; less unpredictable; less faction riven; less diplomatically clumsy and inept,” he wrote, according to the report.

Darroch also said that media reports about so-called knife fights in the White House were “mostly true”.

He questioned whether the current administration “will ever look competent”, but warned officials not to write Trump off, saying he could win a second term in office.

Read more

Trump regime distances itself from Infantino as under-fire Fifa boss faces calls to quit

Gianni Infantino and Donald Trump holding the FIFA World Cup trophy

The reported comments have sparked a backlash amid concerns they could undermine diplomatic relations between the UK and the US.

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage called for Darroch’s resignation, saying: “Kim Darroch is totally unsuitable for the job and the sooner he is gone the better.”

Tom Tugendhat, chair of the Foreign Affairs Select Committee, told the BBC the leak was “very serious”, adding that “diplomats must be able to communicate securely with their governments”. 

However, he defended Darroch, arguing that it was the job of the UK ambassador to represent British interests and “not the sensibilities of the United States”.

In an earlier statement, a Foreign Office spokesperson said: “The British public would expect our ambassadors to provide ministers with an honest, unvarnished assessment of the politics in their country. 

Read more: Trump makes history by stepping into North Korea

“Their views are not necessarily the views of ministers or indeed the government. But we pay them to be candid.”

In a message sent after a US state visit to the UK last month, Darroch reportedly said Trump was “dazzled” by the experience. But he warned the UK’s favourable position may only be temporary. “This is still the land of America First,” he wrote.

Read more

Gianni Infantino: Democrats ask to quiz Fifa boss over Trump ‘corruption’ allegations

Donald Trump and FIFA President Gianni Infantino smiling, looking upwards during an event.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics

Related Topics

  • Donald Trump

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • Trump regime distances itself from Infantino as under-fire Fifa boss faces calls to quit

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino and Donald Trump holding the FIFA World Cup trophy
  • Gianni Infantino: Democrats ask to quiz Fifa boss over Trump ‘corruption’ allegations

    Sport Business
    Donald Trump and FIFA President Gianni Infantino smiling, looking upwards during an event.
  • As it happened: Stocks rise as oil fluctuates after Red Sea attack; US-Iran deal ‘being circulated’

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump delivering a speech at a podium during a formal event, emphasizing key points to an attentive audience.
  • Making Miliband chancellor would be a ‘mistake’, Trump officials warn

    Politics
    Donald Trump speaking at April event, wearing a suit and tie, with an expressive gesture and a serious facial expression
  • OpenAI’s proposed ‘Trump stake’ raises ‘governance overhang’ fears ahead of IPO

    Tech
    Sam Altman discussing OpenAIs ChatGPT advancements at a press conference, emphasizing AI innovation and future developments
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 mixed; oil breaks $91 as Trump rules out new US-Iran ceasefire

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump speaking emphatically at a podium, wearing a navy suit and blue tie, with a microphone and lights visible.
  • As it happened: Stocks jump as oil drops below $100; Trump in tariff blitz

    Markets
    Donald Trump speaking at a press conference with microphones, blue sky background
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump speaking at a podium, microphone visible, discussing the Strait of Hormuz
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook