Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,771.14
+0.21%
DAX
26,062.77
+0.31%
CAC 40
8,468.34
+0.18%
STOXX 50
6,448.19
+0.41%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 29 August 2022 1:39 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 29 August 2022 1:40 pm

Investors draw up rescue bid for Newport Wafer should Nexperia takeover be blocked

By: Millie Turner

Add as a preferred source on Google
UK Microchip Company Newport Wafer Fab Sold To China
The £63m sale of the British chipmaker was completed last year, however, the government has new powers in the National Security Act to retroactively overturn company purchases.

Computer chip investors are reportedly drawing up plans for a rescue bid of Newport Wafer Fab, should its £63m takeover by Nexperia be blocked by the government.

The co-founder of Headlight Technology Partners, which focuses on semiconductor investments, Alex Stewart, told the Telegraph that the newly established fund wants to “try and be part of helping Newport Wafer Fab” should the bid fall through.

Founders of the fund are also in discussions with former Imagination Technologies boss Ron Black, who is reported to have set aside £300m to buy and grow Britain’s largest chip manufacturer.

“Headlight is pulling together a significant fund and as we have the same passion for helping the UK to excel in semiconductors, we have been in discussions as to the best way to collaborate,” said Black.

Business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng is expected to publish his decision on the deal on 5 September following a 45-day extension.

The deal for Newport Wafer Fab by Nexperia, which is owned by a Chinese company called Wingtech, was was completed last year. However, the government retroactively blocked the takeover in May under the National Security and Investment Act, which passed at the beginning of the year.

Before the law was passed, Black had urged that all technology deals be “strongly considered on national security grounds”.

Read more

Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates

“What we’re looking to do is to provide an alternative to the current deal if either Nexperia or the government conclude that an alternative is necessary,” Black told The Telegraph last year, when he first revealed he was working on his own takeover proposal.

Black said at the time he had been working with three electronics companies and three financial investors, based in the UK, Europe and the US.

Kwarteng’s decision on the deal is long overdue, semiconductor bosses have said previously.

CEO of British semiconductor startup Paragraf, Simon Thomas, told Morning Wire on Friday: “Not making the decision is more damaging than making the wrong decision sometimes.”

Thomas described the looming national security review as the “elephant in the room” as industry waits for the government to publish its national semiconductor strategy, which is expected this autumn.

Toni Versluijs, UK managing director at Nexperia, also said last week that the government should approve the sale of the country’s biggest chipmaker to Nexperia if it wants to build a “healthy” semiconductor industry.

Read more

FTSE 100 Segro ‘minded to accept’ £14bn Prologis takeover

David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Tech

Related Topics

  • Imagination Technologies Group
  • Kwasi Kwarteng
  • Semiconductor

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

    Markets
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • FTSE 100 Segro ‘minded to accept’ £14bn Prologis takeover

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Harvey Nichols will collapse without rescue deal, directors warn

    Retail
    Exterior view of the Harvey Nichols luxury department store building facade with prominent black lettering and ornate arch...
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss as takeover pressure mounts

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • Thames Water creditors expect Burnham talks despite legal contigency plans

    Politics
    Burnham cityscape at sunset with historic buildings and bustling streets, highlighting the vibrant urban landscape
  • Exclusive: Easyjet shareholder rights to be watered down under Apollo deal

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Private equity firms eye valuation gap as City falls to takeovers

    Markets
    The FTSE 100 could face trouble as banks suffer from bond market turmoil.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook