Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
0.00%
CAC 40
8,501.91
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Saturday 18 April 2026 10:35 am  |  Updated:  Saturday 18 April 2026 1:24 pm

Tankers report being fired upon as Tehran closes Strait of Hormuz again

By: Maisie Grice

Investment Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
View of the strategic Strait of Hormuz with passing cargo ships under a clear sky, highlighting global trade routes.
Iran have taken control of the waterway once more

Merchant vessels have said they were hit by gunfire as they attempted to cross the Strait of Hormuz, the first indication that Iran’s re-closure of the waterway has been enforced.

Iran’s military reimposed restrictions on the Strait of Hormuz again after accusing the US of violating the deal to reopen it, throwing the world’s energy crisis back into turmoil.

Another vessel reported being fired at by two gunboats linked to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, according to reports received by the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations Agency.

The captain of the tanker said the gunboats opened fire without issuing the customary radio challenge.

Ayotollah Mojtaba Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, said in a statement that Tehran’s navy was prepared to inflict “new bitter defeat”.

Khamenei’s statement said: “The Islamic army is now courageously defending the land, water and flag that belong to it, just as it did in the previous two imposed wars.

“In the same way that its drones strike the US and the Zionist murderers like lightning, its valiant navy is also ready to inflict new bitter defeats on its enemies.”

Iran’s deputy foreign minister also confirmed a date for the next round of peace talks had not been set, until a framework has been agreed by the two nations.

He said: “We don’t want to enter into any negotiation or meeting which is due to failure which can be pretext for another round of escalation.”

US Navy blockade

The military said it would return the strait to its “previous state” with armed forces controlling the area, according to reports on Iranian state media.

The country’s joint military command said on Saturday that “control of the Strait of Hormuz has returned to its previous state … under strict management and control of the armed forces.” 

Tehran accused the US of “piracy” saying that its “so-called blockade” amounts to maritime robbery, with Iran previously saying it would shut the waterway if the US Navy blockade persisted.

The announcement came after Trump said the blockade would “remain in full force” until a deal was reached with the US, including on its nuclear energy program.

Read more

Strait of Hormuz ‘closed’ as Iran and US exchange strikes

Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.

Nuclear deal

The closure also comes after Trump’s claims that a deal with Iran could be reached in days and that Tehran had agreed to suspend its nuclear energy program.

In an interview with Bloomberg, Trump asserted that any suspension on Iran’s nuclear activities would not expire, saying it would be “unlimited”.

He said: “Most of the main points are finalised. It’ll go pretty quickly.”

He also denied that the US would release any frozen funds to Iran, which was a key demand of the regime.

Prior to Iran retaking control, Trump also confirmed negotiations would continue “over the weekend”.

He said: “I just think it’s something that should happen. It’s something that only makes sense to happen. And I think it will. We’ll see what happens.

“I think that is going to be very beneficial. And the main thing is that Iran will not have a nuclear weapon.”

Potential strikes and stocks react

But the US President also floated the threat of resuming strikes on Iran once the current ceasefire expires next week.

Trump said: Maybe I won’t extend it, so you have a blockade, and unfortunately we have to start dropping bombs again.”

Oil prices plunged on Friday on fragile hopes the conflict would come to an end before the ceasefire clocks runs down, with Brent crude dropping over nine per cent on Friday to $90.3.

Oil stocks also plunged with BP falling seven per cent while Shell tumbled 5.2 per cent.

In contrast, travel stocks surged, with Easyjet rising 8.1 per cent to 401.9p, while Wizz Air rocketed 10.1 per cent.

Read more

As it happened: FTSE 100 falls as Iran and US clash over Strait of Hormuz; Oil stockpiles ‘rapidly depleting’

Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics
  • Business

People & Organisations

  • Donald Trump
  • Iran
  • iran war
  • strait of hormuz
  • us-iran war

Related Topics

  • Donald Trump
  • Iran
  • Politics
  • US politics

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 mixed; oil breaks $91 as Trump rules out new US-Iran ceasefire

More from Morning Wire

  • Strait of Hormuz ‘closed’ as Iran and US exchange strikes

    Economics
    Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 falls as Iran and US clash over Strait of Hormuz; Oil stockpiles ‘rapidly depleting’

    FTSE 100 Live
    Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.
  • Trump reinstates US blockade of Strait of Hormuz

    Markets
    Iranian military vessels patrol the strategic Strait of Hormuz amidst escalating tensions in the region
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump speaking at a podium, microphone visible, discussing the Strait of Hormuz
  • As It Happened: Stocks dip as oil’s ‘slowing demand’ in focus; Iran threatens to extend war

    FTSE 100 Live
    People on a beach with cargo ships and a small boat in the Strait of Hormuz
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 recovers after oil surge dampens mood; Strikes in the Strait of Hormuz

    Markets
    Donald Trump speaking at a political rally, surrounded by supporters, emphasizing key points in a vibrant, dynamic setting
  • As it happened: Stocks rise despite new tensions in Strait of Hormuz; Oil price climbs

    FTSE 100 Live
    Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.
  • As it happened: Stocks rise as oil lower; Iran threatens ‘forceful response’ over Strait of Hormuz

    Markets
    North Sea oil terminal with storage tanks and docking facilities under a clear sky, highlighting energy infrastructure.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook