Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 02 March 2022 5:43 pm

Kazakhstani mining company’s libel lawsuit against British author dismissed by High Court judge

By: Louis Goss

Add as a preferred source on Google
British Courts Under Pressure As Case Backlog Tops 50,000

A libel lawsuit, put forward by a Kazakhstani mining company against Financial Times journalist Tom Burgis over his new book, has been thrown out of court.

A High Court judge dismissed a case brought forward by Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation (ENRC), after the firm sued Burgis for libel, over comments made in the first two chapters of Kleptopia: How Dirty Money is Conquering the World.

ENRC’s lawyers claimed in reading the book, an ordinary reader might come to the conclusion that ENRC had been responsible for murdering three men, in order to protect its business interests.

However, Mr Justice Nicklin dismissed the claim on the grounds that those parts of the book did not refer to the mining corporation itself, but to individuals instead.

“Only individuals can carry out acts of murder or poisoning, only individuals can be motivated to do so to protect their business interests,” the High Court judge said.

The judge also said the book does not claim that the three men were murdered, but instead raises suspicions around the three deaths.

ENRC was ordered to pay £50,000 in legal costs to Burgis and his publisher, Harper Collins.

Read more

Prince Harry braces for eye watering legal bill after Daily Mail defeat

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Legal

Related Topics

  • Law firms

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • Prince Harry braces for eye watering legal bill after Daily Mail defeat

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • On this day: the birth of press freedom

    Opinion
    Black and white illustration of the Crown v. Zenger trial, featuring lawyers and observers in a courtroom.
  • Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations
  • Law firm at centre of BHP mammoth lawsuit sued by its own funder

    Lawsuit
    UK class actions surge, lawyers perceived as primary beneficiaries, public awareness highest since 2020, report finds
  • Top court ‘opens the floodgates’ for part-time workers’ claims

    Lawsuit
    Supreme Court building under clear sky, symbolizing justice and authority, relevant to recent judicial news coverage
  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

    Lawsuit
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
  • Former Crystal Palace owner John Textor scores temporary block of Brazilian football club share sale

    Lawsuit
    John Textor says he is ready to sell his stake in Crystal Palace to avoid the club being kicked out of the Europa League due to rules on multi-club ownership.
  • Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

    Transport & Infrastructure
    20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook