Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,773.02
+0.23%
DAX
26,075.01
+0.35%
CAC 40
8,467.69
+0.17%
STOXX 50
6,447.59
+0.40%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 19 January 2024 6:00 am  |  Updated:  Friday 19 January 2024 10:19 am

Lawyers: Pledge to protect litigation funding welcome – but devil’s in the detail

By: Maria Ward-Brennan

Professional Services Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
UK companies are anticipating a rise in legal disputes

City lawyers have welcomed plans to change the laws around litigation funding after a recent Supreme Court ruling raised major concerns about whether litigation funds can continue to back certain court cases.

Justice Secretary Alex Chalk vowed this week to reverse “the damaging effects” of a Supreme Court ruling last year “at the first legislative opportunity”.

His commitment came after Alan Bates, a former sub-postmaster who heads the campaign group Justice for Sub-postmasters Alliance, said that this method of financing court cases was crucial in his fight against the Post Office.

Last year, the Supreme Court handed down a ruling in the so-called PACCAR case. PACCAR is a truck hauliers company and is one of the parties in a case involving five major European manufacturing groups, which are being sued for allegedly breaching competition law.

The Supreme Court ruled that the litigation funds backing the claims against the truck companies did not have the correct financial arrangements in place to be able to properly support the court actions.

This ruling has left the litigation funding sector into limbo, raising concerns about funding for ongoing and future litigation. Bates pointed out that the PACCAR judgment has put litigation funding into “jeopardy”.

Commenting on Chalk’s remarks, Martyn Day, co-president of The Collective Redress Lawyers Association (CORLA) explained that this “commitment to legislate as quickly as possible” and to reverse the PACCAR judgment “is very welcome”.

Luke Tucker Harrison, a partner at Keidan Harrison, also welcomed Chalk’s statement.

Read more

Top court ‘opens the floodgates’ for part-time workers’ claims

Supreme Court building under clear sky, symbolizing justice and authority, relevant to recent judicial news coverage

He explained: “England is a key jurisdiction for both capital and expertise in disputes finance which plays a wider role in the supporting parties to enforce their rights in London-based tribunals. The announcement by the Justice Secretary ensures litigation financing can continue to be offered in a flexible manner maximising its commercial availability to parties.”

Daniel Gore, a senior associate at Withers said: “There might be questions over the true motivation of the government to act now, and potentially in conflict with the general constitutional idea of a separation of powers, but it is a positive move which allows parties like Alan Bates to take on the Post Office.”

Andrew Leitch, a partner at Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner highlighted that the key question now is how far the government will go in reversing the PACCAR judgment.

He explained: “So far, the government’s proposals have been limited to opt-out competition collective actions.” Leitch stated that the Justice Secretary’s comment seem to indicate that PACCAR judgment should be fully reversed, which includes “non-collective proceedings and opt-in claims.”

He noted that if the government is looking at this legislative change in order to preserve funding for cases like the Post Office, “then such an across-the-board reversal may be necessary.”

Day also suggested that “if the government were to cave in and impose ill thought out restrictions on the ways in which funders and law firms operate they would be denying access to justice to millions of citizens whilst giving businesses and corporations, set on using restrictive or unethical practices, a free hand.”

“The amendment to the Digital Markets, Competition and Consumers Bill that is currently going through Parliament is a great start. However, there is no reason why the amendment should apply simply to competition claims,” he added .

Read more

Prince Harry braces for eye watering legal bill after Daily Mail defeat

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Morning Wire Content
  • Legal

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Top court ‘opens the floodgates’ for part-time workers’ claims

    Lawsuit
    Supreme Court building under clear sky, symbolizing justice and authority, relevant to recent judicial news coverage
  • Prince Harry braces for eye watering legal bill after Daily Mail defeat

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Lammy’s cohabitation rules threaten unmarried couples with ‘horrendous’ court costs

    Legal
    Foreign Secretary David Lammy is set to hold talks with officials about Iran and Israel.
  • Lufthansa and aviation rivals clash in London court over power outlet profits

    Legal
    Lufthansa aircraft on tarmac with logo visible, showcasing airlines fleet under clear sky in a business news context
  • Hacking scandal? Inside Prince Harry’s costly legal battle over privacy

    Media
    Associated Newspapers, which is owned by Lord Rothermere's Daily Mail and General (DMG Media), said losses ballooned from £699,000 in 2022 to £44.5m in the year ended 1 October 2023
  • Exclusive: City giants tighten trans policies

    Business
    Progress Pride flag flying on a pole against a modern building, symbolizing trans policies in city firms
  • Thin end of the wedge? LLPs brace for major tax overhaul

    Tax
    Canada
  • Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

    Transport & Infrastructure
    20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook