Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Saturday 12 November 2016 12:04 pm

Lego “not planning any future promotional activity” with Daily Mail amid protests at recent coverage

By: William Turvill

Add as a preferred source on Google

Lego is “not planning any future promotional activity” with the Daily Mail, in an apparent protest at its editorial content.

Stop Funding Hate, a group campaigning for companies like John Lewis and Waitrose to pull advertising from certain tabloid newspapers, has claimed the move by Lego as a victory.​

DMGT, the owner of the Daily Mail, responded with a statement saying: 

Our agreement with Lego has finished and we have no plans to run any promotional activity with Lego in the foreseeable future.

Read more: Daily Mail managing editor attacks "psychotic" and loss-making Guardian

Lego, which has run several front-page ads in the Daily Mail and its sister title the Mail on Sunday this autumn, made the announcement on social media in response to a letter from a man who has bought the newspaper in order to get offers on Lego for his son.

He raised objections to recent headlines which “do nothing but create distrust of foreigners, blame immigrants for everything”. He also criticised its coverage of last week’s Article 50 ruling, which described the judges behind the decision as “enemies of the people”.

In response, Lego said on Facebook this morning:

Hi Bob! Our agreement with The Daily Mail has finished and we have no plans to run any promotional activity with the newspaper in the foreseeable future.

Read more: Daily Mail publisher reports signs of ad market recovery after Brexit vote

The toy company also announced the news to Stop Funding Hate, going further to say it was “not planning any future promotional activity with the newspaper”.

We have finished the agreement with The Daily Mail and are not planning any future promotional activity with the newspaper

— LEGO (@LEGO_Group) November 12, 2016

The news comes towards the end of what has been a tough year for the Mail newspapers and others in terms of advertising revenue decline.

A group of newspaper companies, including the publishers of the Daily Mail, Times, Telegraph and Guardian, are currently working together to investigate whether they can pool resources to boost ad revenues.

Lego and DMGT have been asked for comment.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Media
  • Retail

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • On This Day in 1865: Lord Northcliffe, godfather of the tabloids, was born

    Opinion
    Alfred Harmsworth Lord Northcliffe portrait; influential British publisher and media mogul from the early 20th century.
  • Hacking scandal? Inside Prince Harry’s costly legal battle over privacy

    Media
    Associated Newspapers, which is owned by Lord Rothermere's Daily Mail and General (DMG Media), said losses ballooned from £699,000 in 2022 to £44.5m in the year ended 1 October 2023
  • Prince Harry defeated in phone hacking legal battle against Daily Mail publisher

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Prince Harry hit with £9.5m Daily Mail legal bill

    Legal
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, in a navy suit, white shirt, and striped tie, looking down.
  • Prince Harry braces for eye watering legal bill after Daily Mail defeat

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Stop burying us in swollen corporate reports, says audit watchdog boss

    Accountancy
    Richard Moriarty, FRC unveils new stewardship code reducing reporting burdens
  • SS&C Expands Tokenized Investment Capabilities with Digital Cash Settlement

    Business Wire
  • Government ‘mis-sold student loans’ to teenagers, MPs say

    Politics
    UK university graduate in cap and gown holding diploma at a campus ceremony, celebrating academic achievement and success
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook