Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 07 July 2016 5:10 pm

Lewis Hamilton shrugs off Mercedes threat as team give warring drivers green light to battle at Silverstone

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google

World champion Lewis Hamilton has welcomed Mercedes’ decision not to impose team orders preventing him from racing freely against team-mate Nico Rosberg at this weekend’s British Grand Prix.

The fierce title rivals clashed for a third time in five races in Austria on Sunday when Rosberg was penalised for forcing Hamilton off the track – a move that backfired as the Englishman took the win.

“We’re still able to race, which is a positive – no team orders – which I think is great for the fans, so I think everyone should be excited,” said Hamilton.

Read more: Mercedes defend Lewis Hamilton treatment in bizarre open letter

Mercedes warned that while there was no restriction on their drivers they were now subject to “greater deterrents to contact” – although Hamilton seemed unmoved by the warning.

Asked if he was clear on the deterrents, he said “yeah”, and when pushed on whether they scared him, he smiled and shook his head, before quipping: “I should say yes.”

Hamilton’s win last week came after a dramatic last lap in which he overtook Rosberg despite a collision between the cars. That crash damaged the German’s car to the extent that he trailed home fourth and saw his title lead trimmed to 11 points.

Mercedes said team chiefs Toto Wolff and Paddy Lowe had addressed the drivers at the team’s Brackley headquarters on Thursday.

“Our drivers were informed that they remain free to race for the world championship,” the team said.

“We believe this is the essence of Formula One, including between team-mates. However this freedom comes with a duty to respect the values of the team.

"We have therefore strengthened our rules of engagement to include much greater deterrents to contact between our cars.”

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style

Categories

  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Formula 1

Trending Articles

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Anthony Hamilton’s cars – including a special jaguar – just sold for £2.9m, here’s why

    Life&Style
    Light blue David Brown Automotive Speedback GT sports car, front 3/4 view, at an auto show display.
  • Five tracks that could host Formula 1 in coming years

    Sport Business
    Red Ferrari F1 car speeding past a blurred Malaysian flag banner on a race track
  • Inside Formula 1’s £10,000 hospitality ticket on the back of a moving lorry

    Sport Business
    Black Formula 1 hospitality truck driving on a race track at dusk, bright lights and sponsor banners visible.
  • On this day: the birth of press freedom

    Opinion
    Black and white illustration of the Crown v. Zenger trial, featuring lawyers and observers in a courtroom.
  • London City 7s sign up Springbok-producing powerhouse varsity team

    Sport Business
    Siya Kolisi, Springboks captain, in a green and gold rugby jersey during a match
  • Commonwealth Gold Medallists Return to the Court That Helped Inspire London

    Partner
    Team England athletes and dignitaries celebrate the Kings Baton Relay for Glasgow 2026 at a London sports festival.
  • John Lewis boss quits after warnings of ‘really tough’ trading

    Retail
    Two men, one in an olive green coat, the other in a blue blazer, both smiling.
  • Thunder Call set to Strike in Shergar Cup Sprint

    Sport
    Thoroughbred racehorses with jockeys galloping on a green track, blurred crowd in foreground
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook