Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,713.98
-0.27%
DAX
25,987.67
-0.40%
CAC 40
8,493.71
-0.10%
STOXX 50
6,437.09
-0.11%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 20 April 2023 10:01 am  |  Updated:  Thursday 20 April 2023 10:02 am

Link set to pay out £235m to investors burnt by Woodford fund collapse

By: Charlie Conchie

City Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
The FCA has pointed the finger at Neil Woodford and Link Fund Solutions.
The FCA has pointed the finger at Neil Woodford and Link Fund Solutions.

The manager of Neil Woodford’s collapsed investment fund is set to pay £235m to investors after striking an agreement with the Financial Conduct Authority.

In an announcement this morning, the City watchdog said that Link Fund Solutions and its parent company Link Administration Holdings had proposed a scheme that will see the firm pay redress to those invested in the Woodford Equity Income Fund (WEIF) when it went under in 2019.

The deal marks a major step towards compensation for investors after years of legal wrangling over the collapse of the fund in 2019. The WEIF was frozen by Link after a rush by investors to withdraw their cash.

Formerly star-stockpicker Woodford splashed investors’ cash on unlisted equities and triggered a run on the fund after two years of poor performance.

The FCA had been conducting an investigation into the collapse and said today it found that failures by Link in managing the liquidity of the fund meant those who “didn’t redeem their investments before it was suspended, were unfairly disadvantaged.” 

“The final redress figures will be based on investors voting to approve the scheme. If it is approved, we expect it to provide up to approximately £235m in compensation for those who lost money,” the FCA said.

“We think this proposal both maximises the available redress and is the fastest way for it to be paid.”

The payout of the redress will now hinge on Link’s successful sale of the Link Fund Solutions business to rival Waystone, which will provide a chunk of the cash required for the scheme.

Analysts at AJ Bell said today that the public announcement from the FCA implied a “strong level of confidence that the sale of the business will go through”.

“While it will take some time for this redress process to complete and for payments to be made, investors are one step closer to being able to finally put this whole sorry episode to bed,” said AJ Bell’s head head of investment partnerships, Ryan Hughes.

An initial investigation by the FCA had calculated the total losses to remaining investors in Woodford’s fund as being around £306m, which it said were “substantially greater than the remaining assets of LFS”. 

Read more

First Trust Global Portfolios Management Limited Announces Distribution for certain sub-funds of First Trust Global Funds ICAV

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News
  • Markets & Economics

Categories

  • Business
  • Investing
  • Markets

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • First Trust Global Portfolios Management Limited Announces Distribution for certain sub-funds of First Trust Global Funds ICAV

    Business Wire
  • First Trust Global Portfolios Management Limited Announces Distribution for Certain Sub-Funds of First Trust Global Funds ICAV

    Business Wire
  • Tracker funds are turning 50 – will they make it to 100?

    Markets
    John C. Bogle, Vanguard founder, speaking at a business event, wearing a suit and tie
  • Swiss Pension Funds Increase Commitments to Record Infrastructure Equity Fund to EUR 1.23 Billion

    Business Wire
  • ROYC Selected by Slättö as Structuring and Platform Solution for Luxembourg Feeder Fund

    Business Wire
  • Burnham backs plan to pump £1bn pension funds into start-ups

    Investing
    Man in suit and red tie speaking at a podium to an audience in a modern building.
  • Northern Trust Appointed to Support Invesco’s New Index-Tracking Mutual Fund Range

    Business Wire
  • Strategic Partnership Between Record Asset Management and Admicasa

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook