Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 29 September 2020 3:29 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 29 September 2020 4:32 pm

London faces emergency two-week lockdown as UK hospital deaths hit highest since July

By: Poppy Wood

Add as a preferred source on Google
BRITAIN-HEALTH-VIRUS
Further lockdown measures may be announced for the capital

Ministers are drawing up plans to enforce sweeping lockdown measures across the country including a ban on household mixing in London, as new coronavirus infections continue to rise.

Pubs, restaurants and bars may be forced to shutter for two weeks in both the North of England and in London, marking a return to so-called circuit breaker plans which were abandoned last week.

Members of different households may also be banned from meeting indoors indefinitely, while schools, shops and various workplaces are likely to be allowed to remain open.

It comes as the government is seeking to clamp down on social interactions following a spike in the R rate across the country.

On Tuesday, the UK reported 7,143 new Covid-19 cases, up from 4,044 new cases on Monday.

The UK’s coronavirus hospital death toll rose by 47 in the last 24 hours, marking the highest daily spike since July.

Tuesday’s figures showed 44 new deaths recorded in England, three in Wales, and no new deaths in Scotland or Northern Ireland, taking the official UK death toll to 42,001.

Just six of London’s 32 boroughs currently have infection rates below the threshold of 20 cases per 100,000 used by the government to introduce quarantine measures on other countries.

East London has been hardest hit by a second wave of the virus, with Redbridge reporting 62.9 cases per 100,000 residents over the past week, according to latest government data.

Barking and Dagenham currently has an infection rate of around 55.6 per 100,000, while Tower Hamlets’ stands at 45.8.

Rethink

The Prime Minister is said to have been presented with fresh lockdown plans last week, but rejected them in favour of softer “return to working from home” rules and a 10pm curfew on hospitality venues over fears of a backlash.

Read more

Exclusive: Rugby World Champions Cup set to be mothballed

GettyImages 2277832417

A senior government source told the Times: “The nation and the party weren’t ready for us to go any further last week. There wasn’t a wide enough understanding of how substantial the second wave could be.

“Unlike the first lockdown, nobody has seen pictures of body bags in Spain or France on the TV yet, which had a very powerful effect… Tougher measures on social interaction will have to come though. They’re inevitable in some parts if you look at the numbers.”

It comes after the capital was on Friday added to the national coronavirus “watchlist”, with every single borough in London marked as an area of concern by Public Health England.

‘Tipping point’

Government sources said the capital’s fate now hangs “in the balance”, after London mayor Sadiq Khan said the city is at a “tipping point”.

Khan added that London has seen a “sharp rise” in 111 calls, hospital admissions and patients in intensive care units.

Almost 200 people were admitted to hospital in London from Monday to Friday last week, up from 151 the previous week and 65 new hospital admissions in the first week of September.

A spokesman for Khan said: “The mayor is calling on the government to bring in more stringent restrictions to tackle the fast-growing spread of the virus. He is extremely concerned that many Londoners will get sick or die without further action. We know from the first wave that delay costs lives.

“There is a balance to be struck between restrictions on hospitality sector and restrictions on household mixing in homes and gardens, where it can be harder to maintain a safe distance.

“If the government do as the mayor is asking and bring in tighter restrictions on household mixing then it may be possible to review some restrictions on hospitality such as the 10pm curfew.”

Read more

Hargreaves Lansdown orders staff back to office

Hargreaves Lansdown financial services office exterior with company logo prominently displayed on modern building façade

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Coronavirus

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Exclusive: Rugby World Champions Cup set to be mothballed

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2277832417
  • Hargreaves Lansdown orders staff back to office

    Investing
    Hargreaves Lansdown financial services office exterior with company logo prominently displayed on modern building façade
  • Trump regime distances itself from Infantino as under-fire Fifa boss faces calls to quit

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino and Donald Trump holding the FIFA World Cup trophy
  • Fifa crisis: Uefa exec Nasser Al-Khelaifi ‘not interested’ in ousting Infantino

    Sport Business
    Nasser Al-Khelaifi adjusting his tie, speaking to another person in a business setting
  • Burnham urged to axe tourist tax expansion in devolution drive

    Hospitality
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, speaking outdoors with a lapel microphone on his suit jacket.
  • Thames Water creditors offer government ‘golden share’ to fend off nationalisation

    Water
    Thames Water infrastructure with pipes and maintenance workers, highlighting water management efforts in London
  • Revolut takes flight with launch of new airport lounges

    Fintech
    Revolut Lounge sign on a concrete wall with a person on an escalator holding a rolling suitcase.
  • Jeff Bezos closes in on Liverpool FC stake as FSG sale deal nears

    Sport Business
    Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder, in a blue suit and light shirt, speaking at a business event
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook