Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,713.55
-0.28%
DAX
25,975.65
-0.44%
CAC 40
8,501.97
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,436.10
-0.13%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 16 January 2024 6:00 am  |  Updated:  Monday 15 January 2024 4:02 pm

London firms dust off ‘defence manuals’ ahead of private equity offensive

By: Charlie Conchie

City Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
Companies listed on the London Stock Exchange have been readying defensive plans in expectation of a wave of private equity bids this year

London’s listed firms have been dusting off “defence manuals” and conducting “dry-runs” in recent months as they prepare to fend off unwanted approaches from private equity houses, insiders have told City A.M.

City lawyers and PR firms say they have been drafted in to prepare defensive efforts for London-listed companies ahead of a predicted wave of takeover attempts from private buyers in the coming months.

Lawyers at law firm Herbert Smith Freehills said a number of potential buyers were “poised” for deals in the opening months of the year, and target companies had been forced to ramp up communication with shareholders and pitch their strategic plans in advance of a publicly disclosed bid.

“The most important thing is for firms to know where their shareholders are,” Mark Bardell, a public M&A partner at Herbert Smith Freehills, told City A.M. 

“The tricky bit for a listed company board in all of this is, on the one hand, you don’t want to sell the company too cheaply. But on the other hand, you don’t want to close the door on a buyer that could pay a significant premium to shareholders.”

Boards need to have a “real sense of how supportive the shareholders are” and at what point they “move from hold to sell”, he added. Some boardrooms have also been acting out “dry runs” and wargaming their response in case they fall into the sights of buyers, Bardell said.

Despite still-subdued levels of M&A across the UK, some 40 firms were plucked from the London Stock Exchange last year. Private equity firms are now widely expected to launch a renewed flurry of deals in the opening months of this year as interest rates and valuations on the public markets stabilise.

In preparation for hostile takeover attempts, listed companies traditionally draw up so-called defence manuals that map out the response to an unwanted bid from companies. Such documents contain workstreams across finance, communication and advisory teams to explain the response following a public approach.

Read more

Government intervenes on foreign takeover bids for UK defence firms

UK defence strategy meeting, officials discussing military advancements and security measures in a conference room setting

You don’t want to come straight out with an announcement saying ‘get stuffed’

Helen Roxburgh, partner and head of public M&A advisory at KPMG UK, told City A.M. that certain companies had been “dusting off” their defence manuals in recent months. Partner at City law firm CMS, Alasdair Steele added there was a “definite uptick” in companies readying the documents in expectation of an unwanted approach.

One City communications chief told Morning Wire that his listed clients had been on the alert for over a year and typically have a number of “skeleton” announcements lined up in the event of an unwanted bid.

“You don’t want to come straight out with an announcement saying ‘get stuffed’, so it’s likely that they’ll have a skeleton announcement in place to acknowledge the talks and say you’re considering the takeover,” the person added.

“After you’ve got that out and spoken with shareholders, then you can more firmly say ‘get stuffed’.”

The scale of planning points to a looming wave of deals in the capital this year, as pent-up demand and more stable economic conditions allow private equity firms to go on the offensive again.

Despite a predicted frenzy of deals in the first half of last year, take-privates did not begin to gather steam until the final quarter as inflation cooled and markets began to price in interest rate cuts.

London firms are perceived to trade at a heavy discount to their international peers and be ripe for buyers. Analysts at Peel Hunt warned two weeks ago that the pace of firms leaving the market could be “relentless” without fast action to boost the appeal of the market by regulators and politicians.

Read more

Private equity firms eye valuation gap as City falls to takeovers

The FTSE 100 could face trouble as banks suffer from bond market turmoil.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Investing
  • Markets

Related Topics

  • Private equity

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • Government intervenes on foreign takeover bids for UK defence firms

    Industrials
    UK defence strategy meeting, officials discussing military advancements and security measures in a conference room setting
  • Private equity firms eye valuation gap as City falls to takeovers

    Markets
    The FTSE 100 could face trouble as banks suffer from bond market turmoil.
  • FTSE 100 firm agrees £5.7bn takeover in latest private equity swoop

    Markets
    GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • FTSE 250 facilities manager swept off London Stock Exchange in £3.1bn deal

    Markets
    Mitie logo, a prominent facilities management and professional services company
  • ‘We are going to run out’: Mitie marks eleventh mega takeover of 2026

    Markets
    The FTSE 100 enjoyed a 3-year record rally in the third quarter.
  • Hogan Lovells Cadwalader looks to tap transatlantic dealmaking boom following merger

    Legal
    Canada
  • 3 ways AI is rewriting the rules of private equity

    AD
    A person interacting with a chatbot on a smartphone, with a laptop in the background, showcasing AI and technology.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook