Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.11
-0.21%
DAX
26,440.31
0.00%
CAC 40
8,636.80
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,539.59
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceBankingAIEnergyFintechPropertyCapital Markets
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 26 February 2026 1:00 pm  |  Updated:  Thursday 26 February 2026 2:49 pm

London mayor gives green light for pedestrianised Oxford Street

By: Felix Armstrong

Retail Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
The pe
CGI of a pedestrianised Oxford Street (Image: Transport for London (TfL))

Sadiq Khan has signed off proposals to pedestrianise Oxford Street, ordering London’s transport authority to begin plans to remove traffic in a major shake-up the nation’s most popular shopping area.

The London Mayor gave his approval to the plans on Thursday, claiming the “bold” proposal will transform the high street into a “world-leading” shopping and leisure hub.

The plans had been backed by more than 6,600 businesses in a formal consultation and at least two thirds of stores saw higher sales during a test-run in September.

Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: “I am delighted to be moving forward with my bold vision to transform Oxford Street into a world-leading urban space for shopping, leisure and outdoor events.

“Following TfL’s detailed consultation, I’ve today made the decision to move ahead with these exciting changes to the nation’s high street. We will outline more details in the coming days, as we continue building a better, more prosperous London for everyone.”

Khan’s approval for the plan follows a consultation carried out by Transport for London (TfL) between November and January, which it said saw general support for the proposals – though the 2,700 respondents were not asked directly for their views for or against the pedestrianisation. 

General support for the plans was expressed by 35 per cent of those consulted, TfL says, while 25 per cent were in opposition to the proposals.

Concerns around access for older and disabled people, as well as fears the plans would increase traffic in the surrounding area, were among the objections raised.

Labour-led Westminster City Council has previously raised concerns about the feasibility of the pedestrianisation and claimed it was only given a day’s notice of the September trial.

Cllr Adam Hug, leader of the council, said: “Westminster Council’s view on Oxford Street pedestrianisation is a matter of longstanding public record. Our role now is to ensure that the Mayor’s Oxford Street Transformation is made to work for local communities, as well as for London.

Read more

Why did Pinterest choose Oxford Street for its new HQ?

Gregory Owens and Sadiq Khan, London Mayor, stand smiling in a gallery with various framed images.

“We will continue work pragmatically with the Mayor’s team to ensure a bright future for the nation’s high street as well as for our residential communities and businesses.”

The plans will see vehicles banned from a 0.7-mile stretch of the high street between Oxford Circus and Marble Arch.

Retailers back the plans 

The September pilot saw surging footfall, with local tube stations Marble Arch, Bond Street and Oxford Circus reporting a 25 per cent hike in passenger use.

Business chiefs have thrown their weight behind the plans, with BusinessLDN boss John Dickie claiming the traffic-free day showed the idea had “huge potential” to boost retail and hospitality firms in the area.

Alex Williams, chief customer and strategy officer at TfL, welcomed the Mayor’s approval of the plans.

He said: “We will work closely with Westminster Council in the coming months to implement changes to the roads around Oxford Street, and the Mayor will provide more information on the next steps for this transformational scheme next week.”

Scott Parsons, chair of the newly created Oxford Street Development Corporation, said: “This is an exciting step towards creating a vibrant, new Oxford Street for Londoners, visitors and businesses alike. 

“We’re grateful to everyone who participated in TFL’s consultation, which will help shape the future of one of the world’s most iconic high streets.”

TfL’s current timeline will see traffic removed from Oxford Street West as soon as this summer, with permanent design for the pedestrianised area to be confirmed by November next year.

Sadiq Khan is expected to set out more details on the plan on Wednesday next week.

Read more

No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Retail

People & Organisations

  • BusinessLDN
  • London mayor
  • Oxford Street
  • Sadiq Khan
  • shopping
  • Transport for London (TFL)

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Brompton Bicycle sues former adviser for ‘professional negligence’

  • Revolut chatbot goes rogue by charging users to cancel subscription

More from Morning Wire

  • Why did Pinterest choose Oxford Street for its new HQ?

    Opinion
    Gregory Owens and Sadiq Khan, London Mayor, stand smiling in a gallery with various framed images.
  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • Sadiq Khan’s London plan is not nearly ambitious enough

    Opinion
    The Mayor of London, Sir Sadiq Khan, has this morning announced a £1.4m cash injection for community sport across the capital.
  • West Ham: Staveley receives Sadiq Khan encouragement to buy London Stadium

    Sport Business
    Low-angle view of a football stadium from the pitch, showing the corner marking and empty seats under a blue sky
  • Row erupts over Tory plan to stop Soho pub goers standing up 

    Hospitality
    Bustling Soho street scene with vibrant storefronts, diverse pedestrians, and iconic London architecture under clear skies
  • Sadiq Khan lobbies Burnham to appoint Miliband as Chancellor 

    Politics
    Sadiq Khan addressing media at a press conference in formal attire, discussing recent developments in London policies
  • Mayor gives green light for 4am Joshua vs Fury fight at Wembley

    Sport Business
    Business professionals in a meeting analyzing financial data on laptops, highlighting corporate strategy and decision-making.
  • No 10 backs ‘vertical drinking’ in Soho pubs

    Hospitality
    Pub-goers 'vertical drinking'.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • UK & Ireland

Business

  • Markets
  • Banking
  • Technology
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Fintech

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook