Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.11
-0.21%
DAX
26,440.31
0.00%
CAC 40
8,636.80
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,539.59
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceBankingAIEnergyFintechPropertyCapital Markets
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 28 September 2023 7:52 am

London tenants rattled by shock order to tear down Greenwich tower blocks

By: Laura McGuire

Add as a preferred source on Google
Two luxury tower blocks in Greenwich are going to be knocked down, because they were built without permission.
Two luxury tower blocks in Greenwich are going to be knocked down, because they were built without permission.

A shock order from Greenwich Council to demolish two recently built residential towers because they did not have accurate planning permission has rattled the tenants currently living there.

On Monday, borough officials announced that the Mast Quay Phase II development, constructed by Comer Homes last year, should be torn down as the finished building looked totally different to what was approved over a decade ago when the planning application was submitted.

Among the breached conditions for the build-to-rent buildings were a lack of play space for children, and no step free access for disabled residents to their own balconies.

Speaking to City A.M., Isabella Wyatt, who moved into the building three weeks ago, said that she felt “lied to”.

Another occupier of the building, who wished to remain anonymous, said that the news was “unsettling,” having only received a letter from Comer Homes yesterday morning that the buildings could possibly be destroyed.

As of last month, 79 out of the 204 apartments were occupied.

Comer Homes said in a statement yesterday it was “extremely disappointed” with the council’s decision and will be appealing the enforcement notice.

Comer did not immediately respond to questions about the tenants concerns.

A Greenwich council spokesperson said: “The council sympathises with the developer’s tenants who may find this decision unsettling. We advised the Comer Homes Group not to rent out apartments at Mast Quay Phase II while we completed our investigation, unfortunately the Comer Homes Group ignored our request.   

“If the Comer Homes Group appeals the council’s enforcement notice it does not need to demolish Mast Quay Phase II unless it loses the appeal. The Comer Homes Group would then have a year to comply with the council’s enforcement notice to demolish the towers – ample time to give its tenants notice to leave.”

Read more

UK’s biggest pub firm probed over treatment of tenants

Stonegate street scene with historic architecture, bustling crowds, and local shops, capturing vibrant city life ambiance.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Property
  • Business
  • Morning Wire Content

Related Topics

  • Cost of living crisis
  • London house prices
  • UK house prices

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Brompton Bicycle sues former adviser for ‘professional negligence’

  • Revolut chatbot goes rogue by charging users to cancel subscription

More from Morning Wire

  • UK’s biggest pub firm probed over treatment of tenants

    Hospitality
    Stonegate street scene with historic architecture, bustling crowds, and local shops, capturing vibrant city life ambiance.
  • Heineken-owned pubs group faces probe over eviction threat

    Hospitality
    Hand holding a 4-pack of green Heineken beer cans with red stars and white lettering
  • Foxtons shares tumble as estate agent takes £3m knock from Renters’ Rights Act

    Property
    Foxtons is London's largest lettings agency brand
  • ‘False dawn’: June inflation falls to 2.6 per cent but analysts say rises ahead

    Economics
    Till sales growth slowed to 2.7 per cent in the last four weeks
  • Dante Mayfair at Claridge’s review: How about a five-martini dinner?

    Life&Style
    Elegant Dante Mayfair dining room with green booths, marble tables, floral centerpiece, and stained glass ceiling.
  • London doesn’t need more social housing, it needs more housing full stop

    Opinion
    Luxurious mansions surrounded by manicured gardens in an upscale residential neighborhood, highlighting opulent housing tr...
  • Foxtons hits out at Renters’ Rights Act as profit halves

    Property
    Foxtons is London's largest lettings agency brand
  • Housebuilders urge Rayner to ‘hit the ground running’ and rip up planning red tape

    Property
    Angela Rayner, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party, smiling in glasses at an event with camera crew and lighting
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • UK & Ireland

Business

  • Markets
  • Banking
  • Technology
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Fintech

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook