Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,501.91
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 24 June 2019 10:41 am  |  Updated:  Thursday 15 August 2019 3:58 pm

Londoners brace for summer Tube strike chaos

By: Alexandra Rogers

Add as a preferred source on Google
The RMT union will issue a summer Tube strike ballot on Wednesday
The RMT will prepare the strike action ballot for Wednesday

Londoners are braced for misery as the RMT rail union prepares to ballot its members on a summer Tube strike on Wednesday.

The RMT claims it is being hurt by staff job cuts and privatisation under Transport for London’s (TfL) cost-cutting programme, which has seen it slash back office costs by about 30 per cent so far.

Read more: TfL delays investment to ‘future years’ as debt climbs to £11bn

Nearly 2,000 staff members, including those involved in engineering, signals and the track and control centre will be asked if they want to strike over the summer.

That means the Underground network could grind to a halt over if a summer Tube strike goes ahead.

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: “Staff across London Underground are furious at the attempts to smuggle in a creeping programme of cuts and privatisation under the cloak of the Transformation Programme and we will begin balloting nearly 2000 staff at the sharp end of the plans this week.

“RMT on London Underground is now on a war footing and it’s about time the management, and the London Mayor, woke up and took notice. If we are forced by their inaction to escalate the dispute then that is exactly we will do.

“RMT will not stand back while jobs and safety are carved up and services like waste collection are knocked out to the cheapest bidder just to bail out savage cuts imposed on TfL by this rotten Tory government.”

A spokesperson for TfL said: “Over the next three years we will continue to reduce our operating costs whilst delivering improvements to our service, and we are consulting fully with our staff and trade unions before any changes are confirmed.

Read more: RMT rail union accused Sadiq Khan of Tory cuts ‘stitch-up’

“None of this will compromise the safety of customers or staff, which will always remain our top priority. We hope that the RMT will engage with us in this consultation process.”

Read more

No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • London business
  • Transport for London

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

More from Morning Wire

  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

    Tech
    Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • Councils accused of turning e-bike operators into ‘revenue stream’ as fees surge

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Lime faces growing scrutiny over its safety record.
  • Doctors union tops up £1m reserve pot for strikes

    Healthcare
    GettyImages 2246649047: Business professionals discussing strategy at a conference table, highlighting teamwork and collab...
  • Brits wary of EU summer hols as officials refuse to ease new border checks

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Airport delays in Spain
  • Point2 Completes $136M Series B Funding with Arm, LB Investment, and Maverick Silicon

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook