Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 21 September 2016 3:42 pm

Londoners will pay a £30,000 premium to live in the congestion charge zone

By: Helen Cahill

Add as a preferred source on Google

Londoners are happy to pay extra for a home just inside the congestion charge zone, new research has revealed.

According to research from the London School of Economics (LSE), homes inside the zone are £30,000 more expensive than the houses on the other side of the congestion charge boundary.

Read more: House prices rebounded this month, hitting first-time buyers 

LSE researcher Cheng Keat Tang looked at over 500,000 home sales within five kilometres of the congestion charge boundary, and compared house prices from just inside and just outside the zone.


Londoners will pay for property within the congestion charge circle (Source: TfL) 

Tang said: "The rationale for the congestion charge is not only to mitigate traffic bottlenecks and improve traffic flow and commuting time, but also to generate revenues to improve the public transport system.

"The introduction of the congestion charge was not well-received by residents. Many were unsure whether the charge would achieve its intended aims."

Read more: These are the views Londoners would most like to see from their windows

The congestion charge was first introduced in 2003 and since then traffic congestion has fallen by 20 per cent and delays have been cut by 30 per cent, according to figures from Transport for London.

Residents in the zone do have to pay the congestion charge – which is currently £11.50 per day – but they are eligible for a 90 per cent discount.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Property
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • London business

Trending Articles

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • House prices suffer biggest August slump in eight years 

    Property
    Aerial view of colorful residential houses built on a hillside, nestled among green trees, representing housing markets
  • Hammersmith Bridge is a test for Burnham’s place-based growth

    Opinion
    Hammersmith Bridge closed in 2021 with fencing, banners, and traffic cones blocking access to the walkway.
  • The London Stock Exchange is shrinking – but Julia Hoggett is still an optimist

    Markets
    Julia Hoggett, London Stock Exchange CEO, in a magenta suit leaning on a dark railing.
  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

    Property
    Waverton Investment Management and London & Capital combined into W1M.
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

    Retail
    Green Instacart shopping cart outside a modern Morrisons supermarket entrance with large glass windows
  • Luxury London property developer collapses as housing market slows

    Property
    Person walks past a real estate agents window displaying properties for sale and to let.
  • Diageo boss ‘drastic’ Dave Lewis eyes £20m pay deal as 2,000 jobs slashed

    Hospitality
    Dave Lewis, former Tesco CEO, smiling in a supermarket aisle with products on shelves
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook