Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Sunday 12 December 2021 4:10 pm  |  Updated:  Sunday 12 December 2021 4:11 pm

LV= to review new Royal London takeover offer after £530m Bain bid scrapped by members

By: Farah Ghouri

Add as a preferred source on Google

Insurance mutual LV= will this week assess a takeover offer back on the table from rival Royal London after its members last week rejected a £530m takeover bid from US private equity giant Bain.

In a vote on Friday, 69 per cent of LV=members who voted supported the deal with Bain – but they fell short of the 75 per cent of votes needed for the deal to go ahead.

The 178-year-old mutual insurer previously declined an offer by Royal London, arguing that a deal with Bain Capital offered greater assurances to protect the jobs of over 1,000 employees in the South West, even though Royal London offered £10m more than Bain.

But minutes after the vote, in which only 15 per cent of LV’s 1.2m policyholders took part in, Royal London confirmed that it had put a new deal on the table.

LV= said the new proposal was “substantively different” to the one made last year 2020, and now includes the possibility of continued mutuality for the insurer, on the condition of “exclusive discussions”, according to the Sunday Times.

Royal London confirmed that the terms of a potential merger “would offer LV= members the option to become members of Royal London.”

A merger, the rival company said, would create a “well-capitalised, modern mutual” amid a market dominated by shareholder-owned companies.

The new bid is at “an early stage” and still subject to discussion, checks and “negotiation of financial and other terms,” said LV.

The LV= board said it will “consider this proposal seriously” and will update members “as soon as practicable,” but it will likely be in the new year.

But “LV should not run from the arms of Bain straight into those of Royal London without standing back and deciding what its options are,” one with-profits LV= policyholder, retired solicitor Peter Bloxham, told the Sunday Times.

Read more

TA Portfolio Company Gong cha to Be Acquired by Bain Capital

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Legal

Related Topics

  • Insurance

Trending Articles

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • TA Portfolio Company Gong cha to Be Acquired by Bain Capital

    Business Wire
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • Exclusive: Easyjet shareholder rights to be watered down under Apollo deal

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Easyjet extends window for another Castlelake bid

    Aviation
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss after takeover bid

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • Apollo snaps up Easyjet after Castlelake walks away

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Harvey Nichols will collapse without rescue deal, directors warn

    Retail
    Exterior view of the Harvey Nichols luxury department store building facade with prominent black lettering and ornate arch...
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook