Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 13 February 2014 6:44 am

Male directors more likely to break rules

By: Peter Spence

Add as a preferred source on Google

More directors are being disqualified after their companies collapse, but the insolvency specialist Zolfo Cooper has warned that not enough execs are being banned for misconduct.

The restructuring specialist said 235 directors were disqualified in the last three months of 2013, up from 181 in the previous quarter.

85 per cent of those banned were men, meaning they are over-represented when it comes to disqualifications, given 75 per cent of all directors are male.

The average ban was 5.6 years

More interestingly, Zolfo Cooper reckons the number of D1 reports – which are used by insolvency practitioners to alert the Insolvency Service to misconduct – continues to rise, while not resulting in many more disqualifications.

“Overall, the number of disqualifications being obtained has fallen which is at odds with the message that disqualification is at the forefront of the covernment’s approach to promoting corporate governance, the protection of the UK’s legitimate business community and the reduction of harm against the Crown and customers,” the firm concluded.

Despite Vince Cable’s pledge to crack down on directors who fail in their duties, the business, innovation and skills select committee has warned repeatedly that the Insolvency Service does not have enough manpower or funding to handle its caseload.

The Insolvency Service told City A.M in a statement: “The Insolvency Service takes all allegations of misconduct or negligence by company directors seriously and investigating wrong doing is a priority.”

The organisation, part of BIS, has disqualified 1,035 directors in the financial year to date, compared to 1,031 last year, it said. Bans hit a peak of 1,437 in 2010/11, in the aftermath of the credit crunch.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Markets & Economics

Categories

  • Markets

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

More from Morning Wire

  • Exclusive: Top FTSE executive recruiter goes bust after AI platform launch

    Business
    Consultancy sector and AI
  • Reading FC bidder banned by financial watchdog for forging £170m bond portfolio

    Sport Business
    Reading Football Club crest on a blue and white banner, with EST. 1871 visible.
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers snaps up Harvey Nichols 

    Retail
    Exterior view of the Harvey Nichols department store building facade with detailed windows and architectural columns
  • Former Crystal Palace owner John Textor scores temporary block of Brazilian football club share sale

    Lawsuit
    John Textor says he is ready to sell his stake in Crystal Palace to avoid the club being kicked out of the Europa League due to rules on multi-club ownership.
  • Moody’s Corporation Elects Keith Demmings to Board of Directors

    Business Wire
  • Harvey Nichols will collapse without rescue deal, directors warn

    Retail
    Exterior view of the Harvey Nichols luxury department store building facade with prominent black lettering and ornate arch...
  • Arendt Launches AVA, Its Proprietary AI-powered Prospectus Compliance Review Tool

    Business Wire
  • Revealed: Natwest banked company used by MFS founder to ‘siphon off’ funds

    Banking
    Hand holding a NatWest debit card with a colorful design, blurred NatWest logo in the background.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook