Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 21 August 2023 3:37 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 21 August 2023 4:13 pm

Manchester United to let Mason Greenwood leave after backlash over possible return

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
Mason Greenwood is to leave Manchester United in a move agreed by both parties
Mason Greenwood is to leave Manchester United in a move agreed by both parties

Manchester United have reached agreement with Mason Greenwood to leave the club after concluding an investigation into claims of attempted rape and assault.

England striker Greenwood was suspended by the Premier League club in January 2022 after images and video relating to the alleged victim emerged online. 

Prosecutors dropped the case earlier this year after key witnesses withdrew from the process, and United said their own probe had left them satisfied that he did not commit the crimes.

But reports last week that the club was planning to reintegrate Greenwood into the first team provoked a backlash, and the 21-year-old is now set to leave by mutual consent.

“All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United,” the club said. 

“It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.”

United have not clarified whether Greenwood would be sold, loaned out or have his contract terminated as part of a settlement with the player.

Greenwood added: “Today’s decision has been part of a collaborative process between Manchester United, my family and me. 

“The best decision for us all, is for me to continue my football career away from Old Trafford, where my presence will not be a distraction for the club. I thank the club for their support since I joined aged seven. There will always be a part of me which is United.”

Discussions are believed to be ongoing over the remainder of Greenwood’s contract, which is worth £75,000 per week and runs until 2025. 

After making his debut as an 18-year-old, he scored 35 goals in 129 matches for the club, earning an England call-up and a single cap under Gareth Southgate. 

Read more

Manchester United agree £20m a year deal with betting giant

Harry Maguire in a Manchester United jersey, clapping during a match, looking up.

In an open letter to United supporters, chief executive Richard Arnold said the club had planned for Greenwood’s reintegration but insisted it was only one of several possible outcomes.

“While I am satisfied that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with, Mason’s accepted that he has made mistakes which he takes responsibility for,” Arnold added.

“I am also mindful of the challenge that Mason would face rebuilding his career and raising a baby together with his partner in the harsh spotlight of Manchester United.

“Further, this case has provoked strong opinions, and it is my responsibility to minimise any distraction to the unity we are seeking within the club.

“Although we have decided that Mason will seek to rebuild his career away from Manchester United, that does not signal the end of this matter.

“The club will continue to offer its support both to the alleged victim and Mason to help them rebuild and move forward positively with their lives.”

A United fans’ group criticised the club’s handling of the episode but said it was relieved at the outcome.

“Since the deeply distressing initial allegations surfaced, this episode has been allowed to drag out for far too long as the club has carried out an investigative process,” said the manchester United Supporters Trust.

“Moreover, the complete lack of consultation with fans even with respect to process added fuel to the fire.

“Whilst the speculation and discussion in the last couple of weeks has been profoundly unhelpful and reflected very poorly on the club, it is clear that they have in the end reached the right decision.

“We are relieved that this matter can now be put behind us and will be working with the club to ensure lessons have been learned from this very troubling episode.”

Read more

The European fintech American dream is being called into question

Wise logo with downward trending stock chart, highlighting fintechs share decline amid Belgium fraud investigation

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style
  • News

Categories

  • Sport
  • Sport Business

Related Topics

  • Football
  • Manchester United
  • Premier League football
  • Sport business
  • Sports marketing
  • Sports money

Trending Articles

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Manchester United agree £20m a year deal with betting giant

    Sport Business
    Harry Maguire in a Manchester United jersey, clapping during a match, looking up.
  • The European fintech American dream is being called into question

    Fintech
    Wise logo with downward trending stock chart, highlighting fintechs share decline amid Belgium fraud investigation
  • Premier League: US owners dominate over half of 20 clubs

    Sport Business
    Shahid Khan, businessman, smiling and wearing a bright blue scarf, looking to the right with a blurred background.
  • Old Spice Trafford: Which brands could splash £150m sponsoring Manchester United’s new stadium?

    Sport Business
    Football match in a stadium, Sir Alex Ferguson Stand visible on the roof, with fans and players on the field.
  • Who sponsors the 20 Premier League clubs after gambling ban?

    Sport Business
    A Chelsea FC footballer in a blue kit with number 17, arm raised in celebration on the field.
  • Pre-season tours: Inside the economics of football’s summer money-spinners

    Sport Business
    Enthusiastic football fans, some in Chelsea and AC Milan jerseys, smiling and making peace signs at an event.
  • Staveley planning ‘big property play’ as she closes in on West Ham stake

    Sport Business
    Smiling woman with blonde hair and black sunglasses in a black coat
  • Gary Lineker forks out £10k to save England World Cup dream

    Sport Business
    Gary Lineker smiling in a dark suit, white shirt, and navy tie, wearing black-framed glasses.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook