Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
0.00%
CAC 40
8,509.36
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Sunday 21 April 2024 4:59 pm

Mark Menzies quits as Tories say conduct fell ‘below standards expected of MPs’

By: Morning Wire reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Mark Menzies has quit the Conservative Party and will leave Parliament at the next election.
Mark Menzies has quit the Conservative Party and will leave Parliament at the next election.

Mark Menzies has quit the Conservative Party and will leave Parliament at the next election after an internal investigation found his conduct fell “below the standards expected of MPs”.

The Fylde MP is accused of misusing political donations to cover his medical expenses and pay off “bad people” who had locked him in a flat and demanded money for his release.

An investigation into the allegations, denied by Menzies, concluded on Sunday and found while there had not been a misuse of party funds, the MP’s behaviour fell below the required standards and may have breached the Nolan principles of public life.

Announcing his resignation, Menzies said: “It has been an enormous privilege representing the people of Fylde since 2010, but due to the pressures on myself and my elderly mother, I have decided to resign from the Conservative Party and will not stand at the forthcoming general election.

“This has been a very difficult week for me and I request that my family’s privacy is respected.”

On Wednesday, The Times reported Menzies had called his 78-year old former campaign manager, Kate Fieldhouse, at 3.15am one day in December, claiming he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death”.

The sum, which rose to £6,500, was eventually paid by his office manager from her personal bank account and subsequently reimbursed from funds raised from donors in an account named Fylde Westminster Group, it is alleged.

The Times also reported that £14,000 given by donors for Tory campaign activities was transferred to Menzies’ personal bank accounts and used for private medical expenses.

On Sunday, a party spokesman said the money in question had been signed off by two signatories of the Fylde Westminster Group.

They said: “This body sits outside of the remit of both the Conservative Party and Fylde Conservative Association. Therefore we cannot conclude that there has been a misuse of Conservative Party funds.

Read more

Wimbledon: HMRC set to slap Sinner and Noskova with £1.6m tax bill

Getty Images logo on a sleek black background, symbolizing reliable sources for high-quality stock photography and media c...

“However, we do believe that there has been a pattern of behaviour that falls below the standards expected of MPs and individuals looking after donations to local campaign funds which lie outside the direct jurisdiction of the Conservative Party.”

The spokesman said the Tories would retain individuals on managing such accounts and introduce a whistleblowing hotline.

They added: “Whilst outside the initial scope of this investigation, there has also been a recommendation that the actions of the MP in question have also potentially breached the Nolan principles of public life.

“This is due to the nature of the allegations made, but also the repetitive nature of these separate allegations. These will be reviewed by the Conservative Party’s member governance team.”

Opposition parties have called for the police to investigate the allegations against Menzies, and Lancashire Police said it was “reviewing the available information” after receiving a complaint, understood to have been made by Labour Party chairwoman Anneliese Dodds.

The Conservatives said they would “share any information with the police if they believe it would be helpful to any investigation they decide to undertake”.

Menzies has been MP for Fylde since 2010, and won a majority of 16,611 at the last election.

After the publication of allegations about his use of funds, he lost the Conservative whip and now sits as an Independent. He becomes the 101st MP to say he will not fight his seat at the next election.

Press Association – Christopher McKeon

Read more

Former Lloyd’s chief John Neal breached rules with undisclosed relationship

John Neal (Credit: Lloyd's of London)

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics

People & Organisations

  • Conservative Party
  • House of Commons
  • Mark Menzies
  • UK Government

Related Topics

  • Conservative Party
  • General Election 2024
  • House of Commons
  • UK Government

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Wimbledon: HMRC set to slap Sinner and Noskova with £1.6m tax bill

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo on a sleek black background, symbolizing reliable sources for high-quality stock photography and media c...
  • Former Lloyd’s chief John Neal breached rules with undisclosed relationship

    Insurance
    John Neal (Credit: Lloyd's of London)
  • Reform’s Richard Tice under parliamentary investigation

    Politics
    Reform UK leader Nigel Farage and Deputy Leader Richard Tice are set to meet with Andrew Bailey to discuss interest rates and stablecoins.
  • Farage quits to stand in ‘people versus establishment’ by-election

    Politics
    George Cottrell and Nigel Farage engaging in a conversation at a political event, both dressed in formal attire.
  • Regulator flags BDO’s ‘unacceptable’ audit issues for fifth year in a row 

    Accountancy
    BDO is headquartered in London. Credit - BDO
  • ‘The problems didn’t begin with John Edwards’: Pressure grows for wider data watchdog overhaul

    Tech
    Offi
  • Nigel Farage asks the crudest question: are you with me or against me?

    Opinion
    Nigel Farage speaking at a podium during a press conference, addressing current political issues and public concerns
  • ChatGPT to follow Claude’s watermark pledge – but Grok to swerve it

    Tech
    Grok product interface showcasing advanced AI features for efficient data analysis on a sleek digital dashboard
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook