Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 15 August 2024 12:26 pm  |  Updated:  Thursday 15 August 2024 6:00 pm

Met Police ‘inadequate’ at managing risk of sex offenders

By: Jessica Frank-Keyes

Political Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
The Met Police have failed to solve 90 per cent of car thefts in London, according to new figures branded “staggeringly high”.
The Met Police have failed to solve 90 per cent of car thefts in London, according to new figures branded “staggeringly high”.

The Met Police is not managing the risks posed by registered sex offenders and online child abusers “effectively”, a report from the police inspectorate has found.

It also found the force’s crime investigations also suffer from “inconsistent decision-making” and arguments, with inexperienced officers trying to manage more than 25 crimes at once.

His Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services shared the findings of its 2023-25 inspection programme, which assesses police forces in England and Wales.

It graded the Met Police’s performance across eight areas of policing and found the force was inadequate in two areas – investigating crime and managing offenders and suspects – requires improvement in five areas, and was found to be adequate in just one area.

In the ‘managing offenders and suspects’ section, inspectors identified a lack of training in both managing suspects and offenders, and in use of the Violent and Sex Offender Register.

In one particular example, a high-risk registered sex offender had not been successfully visited by officers or team members since 2017, and there was “no proactive consideration” of arresting the individual or issuing a warrant, the report found.

A performance report provided to inspectors highlighted the Met had a “no further action” rate of 60 per cent for “indecent imagery of children” investigations.

Under the ‘investigating crime’ section, the inspectorate found the force’s crime allocation policy led to “inconsistent decision-making across the force, and to arguments about who should investigate what”.

The quality of investigations for neighbourhood crimes was “generally poor” and lines of enquiry were not always identified or pursued, the report said.

The Met Police does not consistently help victims to access their rights, under the Victims’ Code, and doesn’t always recognise when a victim is entitled to an enhanced service, it found.

Read more

Policing alone won’t solve London’s shoplifting epidemic

Shoplifting incident in retail store with security camera footage showing suspect concealing merchandise in jacket

Among its recommendations, the inspectorate called for the Met to immediately review its operating model for the teams responsible for the day-to-day management of registered sex offenders and online child sexual abuse and exploitation.

His Majesty’s Inspector of Constabulary Lee Freeman said: “The unique challenges facing the Metropolitan Police are not underestimated.

“While it was evident in my inspection that many key changes have and are being made, they are not yet translating into consistent and sustained improvements in some key areas.

“While I commend the force for the progress it has made in answering the public’s calls quickly, I have serious concerns about how the force is currently investigating crime and how it manages offenders and suspects.

“I am aware that before our inspection, the force had already recognised the need to achieve better outcomes for victims.

“However, these plans have not yet led to consistent improvements across the whole force, and more work needs to be done to make sure that this happens.”

A Met spokesperson said: “The Met is using every available resource to deliver more trust, less crime and high standards for London. HMICFRS’ report underlines why this continuing reform is needed.

“ONS data shows that confidence in the Met is above other big cities and overall crime in London is below them. It is positive to see the Inspectorate agree A New Met for London is the right plan to deliver improvements and that we are making progress.

“Since this inspection took place, we have already agreed a plan to move forward from the enhanced HMIC monitoring (known as ‘Engage’).”

“We are now reflecting carefully on the findings, the core of which reflect our A New Met for London plans and the briefing we gave to the HMIC. We will continue to work closely with the Inspectorate, the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime, and other partners to improve delivery for Londoners.”

Read more

Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics

People & Organisations

  • crime
  • His Majesty's Inspectorate
  • Met Police
  • Metropolitan Police
  • police

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Policing alone won’t solve London’s shoplifting epidemic

    Opinion
    Shoplifting incident in retail store with security camera footage showing suspect concealing merchandise in jacket
  • Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations
  • Let’s go to the wall to stop graffiti

    Opinion
    Vibrant graffiti art covering a brick building with parked cars in front, Truman Brewery area.
  • The Debate: should we release female prisoners to make space for men?

    Opinion
    Brick prison wall with barred windows, razor wire, and a security camera.
  • No 10 backs ‘vertical drinking’ in Soho pubs

    Hospitality
    Pub-goers 'vertical drinking'.
  • Silence Therapeutics to Host Conference Call and Webcast to Discuss Topline Results from Phase 2 SANRECO Trial of Divesiran in Polycythemia Vera

    Business Wire
  • Banning vape shops won’t fix scuzzy high streets

    Opinion
    High street vape shop Ecigwizard next to Costa Coffee and Subway, with people walking and sitting outside.
  • FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook