Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 19 February 2024 6:00 am  |  Updated:  Sunday 18 February 2024 9:01 pm

Mini-bond trial: London Capital & Finance administrators legal battle against former executives commences

By: Maria Ward-Brennan

Professional Services Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
London Capital & Finance administrators legal battle against former executives commences including former CEO
The administrators of LCF legal proceedings kick off today against the former executives of the company

The administrators of London Capital and Finance (LCF) civil legal proceedings kick off today against the former executives of the company, including its former CEO Michael ‘Andy’ Thomson.

The investment company collapsed back in 2019 after an intervention by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) following a discovery that LCF was marketing unregulated mini-bonds along with misleading promises of returns of up to 8 per cent.

The company sold 16,706 bonds to 11,625 bondholders, who collectively invested a total amount of £237,207,497.

The collapse caused a scandal, leading to several investigations including by the Treasury and the Financial Reporting Council. The Serious Fraud Office (SFO) also launched a criminal investigation into the individuals associated with LCF, that probe is still ongoing.

The SFO did secured a 10 month sentence (suspended for two years) against Thomson in May 2023 after he breached a restraint order imposed on his bank account. The anti-fraud agency uncovered that Thomson hid £95,000 after he received the order, as he paid it into his wife’s account.

While just last week it was announced that the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) fined and banned LCF’s former compliance chief Floris Jakobus Huisamen.

Back in 2019, the administrators report said that millions of pounds of money invested in LCF flowed through the accounts of four men.

Read more

Former Crystal Palace owner John Textor scores temporary block of Brazilian football club share sale

John Textor says he is ready to sell his stake in Crystal Palace to avoid the club being kicked out of the Europa League due to rules on multi-club ownership.

Finbarr O’Connell, Adam Stephens, Colin Hardman and Lane Bednash from Evelyn Partners are the joint administrators of the company. They are the claimants in the civil lawsuit against the company’s former executives.

They are being represented by partners Mike Stubbs and Barry Coffey of City-based law firm Mishcon de Reya. The case was filed in August 2020 and was originally filed against 15 defendants, however, since the case was launched, they have settled with six of those 15.

The claimants have settled their claim with defendants; Francis Starkie, Martin Ruscoe, Eric Bosshard, Robin Hudson, Charles Hendry and Elten Barker. These six are no longer involved and will not be at the trial.

Additionally, one of the defendants, Spencer Golding, was disbarred from defending himself in this trial. Morning Wire understands that the claimants are still presenting their case against him to the judge, but after a court ruling to disbar him, he can’t defend himself at this trial.

According to their claim form, they argue that “LCF’s business was carried on with intent to defraud bondholders. Monies belonging to LCF that had been paid to LCF by bondholders were misappropriated and paid to the first to tenth defendants.”

The trial begins today at the Rolls Building, three weeks after the case was originally scheduled. The case will be presented to Mr Justice Miles and is expected to last for 20 weeks, bringing the conclusion of the trial to be mid-summer, just before the High Court closes for the holidays.

Read more

Meet the top lawyer challenging Gianni Infantino’s Fifa power play

Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, waves to a crowd with a blue and gold patterned background

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Legal

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Former Crystal Palace owner John Textor scores temporary block of Brazilian football club share sale

    Lawsuit
    John Textor says he is ready to sell his stake in Crystal Palace to avoid the club being kicked out of the Europa League due to rules on multi-club ownership.
  • Meet the top lawyer challenging Gianni Infantino’s Fifa power play

    Law
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, waves to a crowd with a blue and gold patterned background
  • Barclays in legal battle with MFS administrators over part of £160m holding

    Banking
    Barclays bank exterior with logo as it announces mortgage rate cuts amidst upcoming interest rate decision.
  • Investors risk losing life savings with unregulated services, watchdog warns

    Regulation
    The FCA has introduced new proposals to close the financial advice gap.
  • JP Morgan boss issues bank tax warning to John Healey

    Banking
    JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon
  • Labour backbencher adds to criticism of stamp duty on shares

    Politics
    Callum Anderson, a smiling business professional in a navy suit and striped tie against a gray background.
  • Prince Harry braces for eye watering legal bill after Daily Mail defeat

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Luxury London property developer collapses as housing market slows

    Property
    Person walks past a real estate agents window displaying properties for sale and to let.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook