Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 04 July 2022 7:24 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 04 July 2022 7:25 pm

MoJ denies telling court staff to hand over names of striking barristers

By: Louis Goss

Add as a preferred source on Google
Barristers Strike Over Legal Aid Funding
Defence barristers take part in a strike outside the Central Criminal Court, also known as the Old Bailey.

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) has denied telling court staff to name striking barristers, after the Criminal Bar Association (CBA) threatened legal action over claims that any such instruction would breach UK data protection laws.

An MoJ spokesperson said any claims the Justice Secretary or the MoJ told court staff to report the names of barristers who fail to appear in court are “categorically untrue.”

The MoJ told Morning Wire it is “monitoring the number of disrupted cases… to assess the impact on the justice system.”

The comments come after the Law Society Gazette last week reported that all Crown Court clerks had been asked to hand over information on barrister’s missed hearings to attend strikes.

The Times later reported that an MoJ spokesperson, in seeking to explain the letter, had claimed it had “used confusing language and was potentially sent by mistake.”  

The reports came after the Lord Chief Justice was accused of seeking to “intimidate” striking barristers, by telling judges to refer them to the regulator, as they continued their strike over legal aid fees this week.  

Acting on a pro bono basis for the CBA, law firm Mishcon de Reya asked the MoJ to say whether any barristers’ names were in fact handed over, as the firm claimed that any such purported instruction would breach the UK’s data protection rules.

The firm called on the MoJ to say who approved the alleged instruction as it asked the ministry to explain whether any purported decision was in fact a “mistake”.

Mishcon also called on the UK’s information watchdog to investigate the allegations “at the earliest opportunity.”

CBA chair Jo Sidhu said: “Intimidatory tactics such as these are designed to cause distress and are a diversion from what must happen: a swift and fair settlement of our reasonable demands in relation to criminal defence advocacy fees under legal aid, in order to conclude this dispute in the long-term interests of the criminal justice system.”

Read more

Law firm at centre of BHP mammoth lawsuit sued by its own funder

UK class actions surge, lawyers perceived as primary beneficiaries, public awareness highest since 2020, report finds

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Legal

Related Topics

  • Law firms
  • UK Government

Trending Articles

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • Law firm at centre of BHP mammoth lawsuit sued by its own funder

    Lawsuit
    UK class actions surge, lawyers perceived as primary beneficiaries, public awareness highest since 2020, report finds
  • Top court ‘opens the floodgates’ for part-time workers’ claims

    Lawsuit
    Supreme Court building under clear sky, symbolizing justice and authority, relevant to recent judicial news coverage
  • Watchdog takes aim at lawyers blaming juniors for AI blunders

    Legal
    Thousands of justice staff disciplined over the last three years
  • Litigation funders need certainty to keep Britain’s class action regime fair

    Opinion
    UK Supreme Court building, London, with intricate stone carvings and statues, under a blue sky
  • Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

    Transport & Infrastructure
    20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year
  • Prince Harry braces for eye watering legal bill after Daily Mail defeat

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Exclusive: City giants tighten trans policies

    Business
    Progress Pride flag flying on a pole against a modern building, symbolizing trans policies in city firms
  • Lammy’s cohabitation rules threaten unmarried couples with ‘horrendous’ court costs

    Legal
    Foreign Secretary David Lammy is set to hold talks with officials about Iran and Israel.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook