Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 09 August 2024 7:08 am  |  Updated:  Friday 09 August 2024 8:21 am

More advertisers to flee X after recent Elon Musk lawsuit and riot comments

By: Ali Lyon

Add as a preferred source on Google
This shift in advertiser loyalty comes as X, under Musk’s leadership, has declared "war" on marketers who have boycotted the site.
This shift in advertiser loyalty comes as X, under Musk’s leadership, has declared "war" on marketers who have boycotted the site.

Elon Musk’s antitrust lawsuit against brands that have boycotted X and his controversial activity on the platform during the recent spate of UK riots are set to exacerbate the long-held misgivings advertisers have with the site, leading industry figures have said.

On Tuesday, Elon Musk’s X – formerly Twitter – filed a lawsuit against a marketing trade body and string of major advertisers including Unilever and Mars for an “illegal boycott” on the platform which – the claim said – violates antitrust legislation.

In a post from chief executive Linda Yaccarino, the firm said it was suing brands like Unilever and Mars, and the Global Alliance for Responsible Media, a coalition of ad agencies and advertisers who commit to advertising in a way that doesn’t fund “illegal or harmful content”.

But rather than scare brands into submission, bosses in the media industry told Morning Wire that the move – which was variously described as “ego-driven”, “cult-like” and “insane” – is only likely to push already disillusioned brands further away from the ad spend-reliant site.

Alex Tait, the founder of media and marketing agency Entropy, and who previously led Unilever’s ad spending strategy, said: “Musk’s lawsuit is likely driven by his ego rather than commercial logic.

“The concept of X being similar to a “town square”… is driven by a US centric view of the first amendment that doesn’t translate across other countries. [It is] at odds with what advertisers call “brand safety” essentially ensuring that their advertising doesn’t appear next to content that isn’t appropriate for their brands.”

Advertising X’s main advertising avenue, but after several high profile spats between the platform and the advertisers on which it relies. advertisers have been leaving the platform fearing their brand appearing alongside inappropriate or offensive content.

And last year, Elon Musk told advertisers that had left the platform to “go fuck yourself” in an interview.

Joseph Teaside, head of tech at media analyst Enders Analysis, said: “Advertisers just don’t want the drama…

Read more

ChatGPT to follow Claude’s watermark pledge – but Grok to swerve it

Grok product interface showcasing advanced AI features for efficient data analysis on a sleek digital dashboard

“[They] have already left in droves as X has been overrun by bots, racists and pornography since the Musk takeover. Some have stuck around or come back, tempted by low CPMs, but scandal after scandal is convincing large advertisers that it’s just not worth the hassle.

Meanwhile Alex Wilson, a senior strategist at London agency Pitch, told Morning Wire that whereas pre-Musk Twitter was once a good avenue for brands to insert themselves into the biggest conversations, its unregulated nature has made it hard for to convince his clients to part way with money on the site.

“The great salespeople was have left, the verification system is a mess, half your followers are now sexbots, the most interesting people have moved somewhere else, the people still there are posting less, and your timeline is just and endless stream of misery.

“How do you make the case for advertising on a platform like that?”

Views among advertisers in UK were further soured by Musk’s recent online activity around the riots. Since the onset of the unrest, the Tesla founder has branded Keir Starmer as “two-tier Keir” – a reference to two-tier policing – and directly engaged with Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, the founder of the English Defence League also known as Tommy Robinson, having re-instated the far right activist’s account earlier in the week.

In a WhatsApp messages seen by Morning Wire between staff at one of the world’s largest ad buying agencies, one exec wrote: “[The lawsuit] coupled with Elon’s comments on recent riots… how any brand can even contemplate going near it is insanity.”

Tait added: “Existing concerns that UK advertisers have about the platform are also likely to be increased by role X / Twitter is thought to have played in the unrest we’ve seen over the last week.”

X could not be reached for comment.

Read more

Space X-linked Marex in £25m Nottingham Forest front-of-shirt deal

Football stadium at night with players on the pitch and a large banner reading FOR A NEW GENERATION OUR TIME HAS COME

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

People & Organisations

  • elon musk
  • hate speech
  • Linda Yaccarino
  • riots
  • social media
  • Twitter

Related Topics

  • Elon Musk
  • Twitter

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • ChatGPT to follow Claude’s watermark pledge – but Grok to swerve it

    Tech
    Grok product interface showcasing advanced AI features for efficient data analysis on a sleek digital dashboard
  • Space X-linked Marex in £25m Nottingham Forest front-of-shirt deal

    Sport Business
    Football stadium at night with players on the pitch and a large banner reading FOR A NEW GENERATION OUR TIME HAS COME
  • Law firm at centre of BHP mammoth lawsuit sued by its own funder

    Lawsuit
    UK class actions surge, lawyers perceived as primary beneficiaries, public awareness highest since 2020, report finds
  • Prince Harry braces for eye watering legal bill after Daily Mail defeat

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Illegal Premier League betting could hit £1bn within year

    Sport Business
    Close-up of the shining Premier League trophy with red ribbons, set against a blurred stadium background.
  • What Burnham’s Sporting Events Bill means for brands and media owners

    Sport Business
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, in glasses, showing enthusiasm at a sporting event.
  • Even Claude says AI watermarking is no ‘silver bullet’

    AI
    Claude AI interface showcasing advanced features in a business setting
  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

    Lawsuit
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook