Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 18 October 2023 8:43 am  |  Updated:  Wednesday 18 October 2023 9:11 am

MPs to grill British Museum director and George Osborne over stolen artefacts

By: Morning Wire Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
George Osborne
George Osborne

George Osborne will be grilled by MPs over artefacts stolen from the British Museum’s collection.

The former chancellor, who is chairman of the British Museum trustees, and Sir Mark Jones, interim director of the body, will appear before the Culture, Media and Sport Committee (CMS) on Wednesday.

The one-off evidence session will “focus on the reputational and financial implications for the museum and the wider national collection” in the wake of the thefts of thousands of items being disclosed.

MPs could also ask about what is being done to recover the items, if there has been damage to the museum’s reputation and how future relations with other institutions may have been impacted.

Later in the day, the CMS committee is scheduled to ask about the impact on the wider heritage sector.

Maria Balshaw, chairwoman of the National Museums’ Directors Council (NMDC) and director of the Tate art museums and galleries, and Lord Parkinson, parliamentary under-secretary of state for arts and heritage, will also appear.

George Osborne, Chair of the British Museum (left), and Sir Mark Jones inside the Reading Room of the British Museum, London (Aaron Chown/PA Wire)

On August 16, the British Museum revealed that the items – including gold jewellery, semi-precious stones and glass – were missing, stolen or damaged.

Later that same month, Mr Osborne told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that an estimated 2,000 items were missing and some had been recovered.

He suggested that the British Museum did not have a complete catalogue of everything in its collection amassed over several hundred years and “groupthink” may have prevented the institution’s leadership from believing that treasures had been taken.

Mr Osborne said: “It’s certainly been damaging to the British Museum’s reputation. I think that’s sort of stating the obvious and that’s why I’m apologising on behalf of the museum.

“We believe we’ve been the victim of thefts over a long period of time and, frankly, more could have been done to prevent them.”

An unnamed member of staff has been sacked and the British Museum said it is taking legal action.

The PA news agency understands the thefts were over a “significant” period of time before 2023.

Read more

Why the Bank of England museum is a one-of-a-kind

Gold bar stamped PAMP SA SWITZERLAND on display at the Bank of England Museum, showcasing financial assets.

The then director of the British Museum Hartwig Fischer – who had announced in July that he would step down next year – released a statement on August 23 speaking of his “frustration”, while claiming the person who raised concerns about missing items at the institution did not disclose more.

Ittai Gradel, an author, academic and antiquities dealer, claimed the comments were an “outright lie” to PA and on August 25, Mr Fischer resigned.

German art historian Mr Fischer said the museum “did not respond as comprehensively as it should have in response to warnings in 2021” about the thefts and he “misjudged the remarks” about Mr Gradel.

His deputy, Jonathan Williams also stepped back from his position.

Former Victoria And Albert (V&A) Museum director Sir Mark was confirmed in his new role in early September and vowed to “restore the reputation” of the British Museum.

On September 26, the institution announced that “60 items have now been returned, with a further 300 identified and due to be returned imminently”.

The body also released images of classical Greek and Roman gems and jewellery – which are similar to the missing artefacts but not pictures of the absent items – to the public, which could lead to the recovery of more objects

An international panel of experts, whose members include: James Ratcliffe from the Art Loss Register; Lynda Albertson from the Association for Research into Crimes Against Art; and other specialists in the field of ancient gems and jewellery, has also been formed to recover the objects.

Former British Museum trustee Sir Nigel Boardman, and Chief Constable of the British Transport Police, Lucy D’Orsi, are also leading an independent review into why the items went missing and what can be done in the future.

A Metropolitan Police investigation is under way into the thefts and a man was interviewed under caution on August 23.

No arrests have been made.

Press Association – Charlotte McLaughlin

Read more

MoN Takanawa: The Museum of Narratives Launches New Season “Sound as Culture” Starting October 1

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics
  • Retail

Related Topics

  • George Osborne

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Why the Bank of England museum is a one-of-a-kind

    Toast the City
    Gold bar stamped PAMP SA SWITZERLAND on display at the Bank of England Museum, showcasing financial assets.
  • MoN Takanawa: The Museum of Narratives Launches New Season “Sound as Culture” Starting October 1

    Business Wire
  • Farage quits to stand in ‘people versus establishment’ by-election

    Politics
    George Cottrell and Nigel Farage engaging in a conversation at a political event, both dressed in formal attire.
  • Labour backbencher adds to criticism of stamp duty on shares

    Politics
    Callum Anderson, a smiling business professional in a navy suit and striped tie against a gray background.
  • Reeves: Burnham will face ‘shocks and challenges’ as Prime Minister

    Politics
    Rachel Reeves delivering a speech at a press event, wearing a navy blazer and standing in front of a backdrop with logos.
  • Miliband opponents pour cold water on Chancellor hopes

    Politics
    Ed Miliband outside Downing Street
  • Ex-UK minister Robertson rubbishes Ukrainian claims he aided Russia’s Olympic return

    Sport Business
    Sir Hugh Robertson, British Olympic Association, wearing a poppy and name tag, at an event
  • Why Albania’s Tirana could be the city break of the future

    Life&Style
    Radisson Collection hotel in Tirana, Albania, featuring a swimming pool, palm trees, and an external fire escape.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook