Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,712.77
-0.28%
DAX
25,961.82
-0.50%
CAC 40
8,464.18
-0.44%
STOXX 50
6,420.49
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 04 November 2016 11:09 am

M&S retail boss wrote to former chancellor George Osborne to defend benefit cuts for staff

By: Helen Cahill

Add as a preferred source on Google

M&S management wrote to former chancellor George Osborne this summer as the business was under siege for cutting staff benefits.

In an internal memo seen by Morning Wire, the retail director of M&S, Sacha Berendji, told staff he wrote to Osborne responding to criticism about cutting premium pay rates for staff.

Read more: M&S shells out £100m for pension changes and payments to ease pay cut pain

M&S announced earlier this year that it would no longer pay employees extra to work on Sundays and bank holidays. Berendji has been responsible for communicating the changes to staff.

In a factsheet sent to staff, M&S said: "Sunday trading has become such a normal part of the working week we don't believe it is something we need to pay a premium for going forward.

"Any savings from the proposed removal of Sunday premiums would be reinvested in the new hourly rate along with significant additional money from the business."

However, MPs have argued this action is a way of cutting benefits and using this to fund the pay rises imposed by the national living wage legislation. Other retailers, such as Morrisons, have slashed premium pay, and it has emerged that John Lewis is considering a similar move.

Osborne has described the behaviour as going against the "spirit of the law". But in a heated parliamentary debate on the issue yesterday, business minister Margot James said 90 per cent of M&S employees will get a higher pay as a result of the changes.

"I make no apology for trying to set the record straight when I feel that a company, or perhaps an individual, in the outside world has been maligned unfairly," she said.

Read more: M&S workers seek unionisation after pay changes and job cuts

Conservative MP James Berry cautioned against introducing any more legislation on wages, saying he worried businesses would become "wrapped up" in layers of regulation.

"I hope this government will continue to criticise employers who do not follow the spirit of the rule, so that we as customers can also take direct action by not shopping at M&S this Christmas if we are not happy about how they treat their staff," Berry said.

Seventy MPs have written to M&S boss Steve Rowe asking him to talk with them about abolishing premiums, but he has declined the invitation.

A spokesperson for Marks & Spencer said: “Over 99 per cent of colleagues have agreed to pay and pension changes which will reward our people in a fair and consistent way, simplify and modernise our business and make our colleagues amongst the highest paid in UK retail. The vast majority will receive higher total pay as a result of the pay changes and nobody need be worse off.”

The company has told employees that any staff who did not sign the new contract by 21 October would not receive the compensation payments given to those affected.

Meanwhile, the business has been considering a move away from clothing.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Retail

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • M&S chair: Tax and employment costs holding back Britain

    Retail
    Archie Norman, business leader, speaking at a corporate event wearing a suit and tie, engaging with the audience.
  • M&S to face shareholder grilling over cyber attack recovery

    Retail
    Marks and Spencer was one of three UK retailers to be targeted
  • John Lewis’ new boss faces a battle to boost online sales

    Retail
    John Lewis & Partners department store building exterior with logo signage against a blue sky
  • Heatwave slows retail sales but World Cup boosts online shopping

    Retail
    Scorching sun over urban skyline during intense heatwave, highlighting climate change impact on city infrastructure.
  • ‘The problems didn’t begin with John Edwards’: Pressure grows for wider data watchdog overhaul

    Tech
    Offi
  • Rachel Reeves to unveil next steps for ring-fencing reform at Mansion House

    Banking
    Descriptive image related to a news or business article with focus on general themes and engaging visual elements.
  • Burnham urged to go further to fix ‘broken’ business rates

    Retail
    Burnham cityscape at sunset with historic buildings and bustling streets, highlighting the vibrant urban landscape
  • Back to basics: Sainsbury’s gradual retreat from the British high street

    Retail
    Sainsbury’s Cobham. Credit: David Parry/PA Media Assignments.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook