Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,754.54
+0.04%
DAX
26,414.44
-0.10%
CAC 40
8,622.74
-0.16%
STOXX 50
6,552.31
+0.19%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Sunday 07 January 2024 12:32 pm

Nadal injury clears path for Djokovic to extend slam record at Australian Open

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
2024 Brisbane International: Day 6
BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 05: Rafael Nadal of Spain leaves the court after losing his match against Jordan Thompson of Australia during day six of the 2024 Brisbane International at Queensland Tennis Centre on January 05, 2024 in Brisbane, Australia. (Photo by Chris Hyde/Getty Images)

Rafael Nadal’s hopes of matching Novak Djokovic’s grand slam title record have suffered a blow after the Spaniard was forced to pull out of next week’s Australian Open.

Nadal spent almost all of last year sidelined with a hip problem and his injury curse struck again during his comeback tournament, the Brisbane International, last week.

The 37-year-old’s tally of 22 grand slams is two short of the record held by Djokovic, who is a year younger and could extend it further in Melbourne this month.

“During my last match in Brisbane I had a small problem on a muscle that as you know made me worried,” Nadal said on social media.

“Once I got to Melbourne I have had the chance to make an MRI and I have a micro tear on a muscle, not in the same part where I had the injury and that’s good news.

“Right now I am not ready to compete at the maximum level of exigence in five sets matches. I’m flying back to Spain to see my doctor, get some treatment and rest.”

Nadal’s setback is a bitter blow, having spent months recovering from surgery in June in the hope of challenging for a third Australian Open title. He has said that he plans to retire after this season.

“I have worked very hard during the year for this comeback and as I always mentioned my goal is to be at my best level in three months,” he added.

Hi all, during my last match in Brisbane I had a small problem on a muscle that as you know made me worried. Once I got to Melbourne I have had the chance to make an MRI and I have micro tear on a muscle, not in the same part where I had the injury and that’s good news.
Right… pic.twitter.com/WpApfzjf3C

— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) January 7, 2024

“Within the sad news for me for not being able to play in front of the amazing Melbourne crowds, this is not very bad news and we all remain positive with the evolution for the season.

“I really wanted to play here in Australia and I have had the chance to play a few matches that made me very happy and positive. Thanks all for the support and see you soon!”

Britain’s Liam Broady has also withdrawn from the year’s first grand slam after scans revealed two bone stresses in his ankle that could become fractures if untreated.

Read more

Why Raducanu may have harmed Fery’s post-Wimbledon commercial earnings

Breaking news event with large crowd gathered at outdoor venue, people holding banners, and speaker addressing audience

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Sport

Categories

  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Tennis

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Why Raducanu may have harmed Fery’s post-Wimbledon commercial earnings

    Sport Business
    Breaking news event with large crowd gathered at outdoor venue, people holding banners, and speaker addressing audience
  • Cristiano Ronaldo on Mars: Where will sport take us in the next five years?

    Sport Business
    Cristiano Ronaldo smiling in his white and yellow Al Nassr football jersey during a match
  • James Watt eyes entire Brewdog UK business in comeback swoop

    Hospitality
    Brewdog CEO James Watt
  • As It Happened: Stocks dip as oil’s ‘slowing demand’ in focus; Iran threatens to extend war

    FTSE 100 Live
    People on a beach with cargo ships and a small boat in the Strait of Hormuz
  • Exclusive: Wimbledon chiefs ready to defend brand amid Saudi tennis complex similarities

    Sport Business
    A person cleaning the Wimbledon Championships logo, featuring crossed tennis rackets and a ball.
  • Man Group shares surge as assets hit record $253bn

    Investing
    Man Group is the largest hedge fund in the UK.
  • Glencore and Rio Tinto strike gold on high commodity prices

    Mining
    Jakob Stausholm will step down after more than four years as chief executive of the FTSE 100 mining giant.
  • IHT receipts hit record high as Rachel Reeves’ frozen bands raid plague Brits

    Personal Finance
    Inheritance tax receipts are on track for a record breaking year
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook