Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
0.00%
CAC 40
8,453.09
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 22 November 2024 2:09 pm

National World: Shares in Yorkshire Post and The Scotsman owner surge after £56m takeover offer

By: Jon Robinson

Add as a preferred source on Google
National World owns the likes of The Yorkshire Post. (Photo by Carl Court/Getty Images)
National World owns the likes of The Yorkshire Post. (Photo by Carl Court/Getty Images)

Shares in National World, the media group whose titles include Yorkshire Post and The Scotsman, have surged to their highest level in more than a year after a takeover offer with over £56m was revealed.

Irish media group Media Concierge, which is London-listed National World’s largest shareholder with a 26 per cent stake, has tabled an offer worth £56.2m.

The offer, is a 40 per cent premium to National World’s closing price on Thursday.

After the takeover offer was revealed, shares in National World jumped by more than 16 per cent to 17.5p each, their highest for more than 12 months.

They first surged by 23 per cent to 18.5p before falling back down slightly.

Media Concierge, which owns the likes of Mediaforce, The Leaflet Company and Iconic Media Group, is seeking to acquire the 74 per cent of National World that it does not already own.

The group has until 5pm on 20 December to announce a formal intention to make an offer or withdraw.

National World, which is headquartered in Leeds, operates over 100 newspapers and websites in the UK and is run by David Montgomery.

In its half-year results, National World posted a revenue of £48.8m, up from £41.6m, while its pre-tax profit nudged up from £1.7m to £2.3m.

For its latest full year, the company’s revenue rose from £84.1m to £88.4m but its pre-tax profit fell from £5.2m to £3.1m.

Read more

Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss as takeover pressure mounts

Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel

In a statement to the London Stock Exchange, Media Concierge said: “Media Concierge believes that the possible offer provides a highly attractive and deliverable opportunity for National World shareholders to realise their investment at a substantial premium in cash.”

National World comes out swinging

Responding to the offer, National World said: “National World confirms that it has received the possible offer and the company has undertaken a significant amount of work with the company’s financial and legal advisers to evaluate the possible offer.

“The board has confidence in National World’s strategy for value creation as an independent business but acknowledges the potential merits of the possible offer.”

However, as part of its statement, the group claimed that it had been “made aware of a potentially systemic pattern of historical invoicing irregularities in relation to the activities of entities affiliated with Media Concierge”.

The group added that entities affiliated with Media Concierge are “currently inappropriately withholding revenues due to the Company totalling £4.4m”.

It said: “The company has requested access to historical records to facilitate the Investigation and enable the possible offer to be fully evaluated. A forensic auditor is on standby to assist with the Investigation.

“Entities affiliated to Media Concierge are yet to provide access to the necessary documentation in accordance with National World’s contractual and legal rights to enable the Investigation.

“In consultation with the company’s advisers and counsel, and following engagement with certain shareholders of the company, the board continues to pursue these matters to safeguard shareholders’ interests and to enable it to properly evaluate the merits of the possible offer.

“The company confirms that it holds £10.9m of cash balances notwithstanding revenues withheld by entities affiliated with Media Concierge.”

Read more

Easyjet shares crash on fears of EU probe

EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

People & Organisations

  • media
  • Media Concierge
  • Mergers and Acquisitions
  • Mergers and acquisitions (M&A)
  • National World
  • newspaper
  • newspapers
  • takeover
  • takeover bid
  • Takeovers
  • UK media

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss as takeover pressure mounts

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • Easyjet shares crash on fears of EU probe

    Aviation
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
  • Easyjet extends window for another Castlelake bid

    Aviation
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
  • Vodafone shares jump as French telecoms tycoon becomes top shareholder

    Telecoms
    Vodafone Group has announced the appointment of Microsoft's Pilar López as its new chief financial officer.
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss after takeover bid

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • FTSE 100 firm agrees £5.7bn takeover in latest private equity swoop

    Markets
    GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector
  • Everest and MetLife Expand Bereavement and Legacy Support to Ireland

    Business Wire
  • FTSE 250 facilities manager swept off London Stock Exchange in £3.1bn deal

    Markets
    Mitie logo, a prominent facilities management and professional services company
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook