Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,501.91
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 21 November 2022 10:26 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 22 November 2022 2:46 pm

Nexo sued by investors prevented from withdrawing £107m crypto holdings in full

By: Louis Goss

Add as a preferred source on Google
Cryptocurrencies sink

A family of fintech entrepreneurs are suing a leading crypto exchange over claims it blocked them from withdrawing funds and then intimidated them into selling them back to the company at a discount.

The three crypto investors have filed a High Court lawsuit against London headquartered Nexo over claims it stopped them from withdrawing more than $126m (£107m) worth of cryptocurrencies and then intimidated them into selling their assets at a 60 per cent discount.

The tech entrepreneurs – brothers Jason and Owen Morton and their cousin Shane Morton – claim Nexo froze their accounts after they sought to pull their assets off the Cayman Islands incorporated exchange, due to becoming concerned about its lack of transparency.

The investors claim they were then intimidated into selling millions worth of Nexo Tokens back to the company at a discount price, on the threat they would be blocked from withdrawing their crypto from Nexo’s exchange, according to High Court documents seen by Morning Wire

Together, the three men had millions of Nexo’s own cryptocurrency, Nexo Tokens, stored the exchange alongside tens of millions of dollars’ worth of other cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, Pax Gold, and Stellar.

Nexo, which claims all assets held on its platforms are more than “fully-backed”, has previously put itself forwards as a leader in terms of transparency.

The exchange claims it has five million users and says it has processed more than $130bn worth of transactions over the past five years.  

The Mortons first began withdrawing their combined $126m cryptocurrency holdings from Nexo in March 2021, over concerns about transparency and the exchange’s compliance with regulators.

Specifically, the Mortons had concerns over Nexo’s structure, its regulatory status with the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), and the extent to which the sum of all Nexo Tokens were owned by Nexo employees.  

After flagging their concerns to Nexo in December 2020 and failing to receive a satisfactory response, the Morton’s began selling their Nexo Tokens in tranches, with a view to withdrawing their entire $126m cryptocurrency holdings from the exchange.

The investors had sought to sell their Nexo Tokens in small portions so as to prevent their sell-off from impacting the price of the cryptocurrency, which claims to be the first coin to pay a dividend.

Read more

Nexo Reaffirms EU Compliance

However, on 22 March 2021, Nexo – without notice or explanation – imposed bespoke daily withdrawal limits on the entrepreneurs’ accounts, which blocked them from pulling more than $150,000 a day off the platform, the High Court claim says.

The following day, on 23 March 2021, Nexo then entirely blocked the entrepreneurs from withdrawing their assets, by greying out their withdraw buttons, therefore disabling them from pulling any cryptocurrencies from the platform.

That same day, Nexo also blocked two of the businessmen from converting their Nexo tokens into other cryptocurrencies, by greying out the convert buttons that had previously been available to both Shane and Owen Morton.

After being frozen out of their accounts, the businessmen called the Nexo employee who had managed the coin exchange’s relationship with the three investors, demanding an explanation for the cryptocurrency exchange’s actions.

During their conversation, the account manager explained Nexo had frozen their accounts to “support the price of Nexo Tokens,” the High Court filings show.

He in turn offered the investors a deal, through which they could either sell their Nexo Tokens at a 60 per cent discount on their market price in return for a complete removal of any subsequent withdrawal limits.

The Mortons subsequently accepted Nexo’s offer through which they agreed to sell their Nexo Tokens at a 60 per cent discount on their market price, in return for the removal of withdrawal limits. The deal saw Nexo pay the investors $38,948,743 worth of the dollar-pegged stablecoin Tether.

Altogether, the Mortons held 38,793,323.7 Nexo Tokens when they sought to withdraw their assets. In March, those assets would have been worth around $85.4m, according to data from CoinMarketCap.

The Mortons also held 281.05 Bitcoin, worth around $12.5m, on Nexo’s platform.

The High Court lawsuit claims Nexo breached its contract with the crypto investors by imposing “bespoke” withdrawal limits on their accounts. The lawsuit also claims the investors were intimidated into selling their Nexo Tokens at a below market price.

Nexo have been approached by Morning Wire for comment.

Read more

Interactive Brokers Builds Out One of the Most Comprehensive and Low-Cost Solutions for Accessing Cryptocurrency Available

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Crypto
  • Legal

Related Topics

  • Bitcoin and blockchain
  • cryptocurrency
  • Law firms

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

More from Morning Wire

  • Nexo Reaffirms EU Compliance

    Business Wire
  • Interactive Brokers Builds Out One of the Most Comprehensive and Low-Cost Solutions for Accessing Cryptocurrency Available

    Business Wire
  • Alpaca Launches German Equities Trading via Deutsche Börse Xetra

    Business Wire
  • FCA crypto crackdown will ‘wipe out’ bad actors, says Coinbase boss 

    Crypto
    UK regulators banned the Coinbase ad
  • A £3bn reckoning that will reshape buy now, pay later

    Regulation
    Klarna IPO trading buzz with stock charts and investors analyzing market trends in a professional setting
  • Robinhood offers crypto asset tied to FCA warning list

    Crypto
    Hands holding a smartphone displaying a trading platform with cryptocurrency charts and buy/sell buttons, a blurred monito...
  • Workspace urges investors to block ‘destructive’ Saba proposals

    Property
    Workspace Group said occupancy was down very slightly to 88.1 per cent, compared to 88.4 per cent at the end of last year. 
  • Naser Taher, Chairman and Founder of MultiBank Group, Honored by H.H. Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan with the Golden Excellence Award for FinTech, Digital Asset and Blockchain Excellence

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook