Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 02 December 2021 11:14 am  |  Updated:  Thursday 02 December 2021 12:13 pm

No free New Year’s Eve tube journey for Londoners as TfL faces funding crisis

By: Emily Hawkins

Add as a preferred source on Google
WORK-FROM-HOME-ADVICE-LEAVES-LONDON-EMPTY
(Photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images)

Londoners will miss out on a free tube journey home on New Year’s Eve after the pandemic has taken a toll on Transport for London’s finances.

While party goers have come to expect free travel on the network between 11.45pm and 4.30am, this year revellers will have to pay standard charges. 

The tradition of free travel has been in place since 2000, although it was not on offer last year due to coronavirus restrictions on celebrations.

TfL said: “Following the catastrophic impact of the pandemic on TfL’s finances, TfL unfortunately will not be able to offer free travel on New Year’s Eve.

“Services on the transport network will run through the night, ensuring that people can enjoy everything London has to offer and get home safely.”

A TfL spokesperson told CityA.M. that it was not possible to secure a sponsor to cover the costs of offering free travel but TfL would consider it for future years.

London’s transport network is facing a funding crisis after requiring four government bailouts since the start of the pandemic.

The Mayor of London has said he may be forced to close an entire Tube line if the government does not quickly come up with a financial settlement.

 “It won’t be long before London itself will no longer have London-style transport services,” Sadiq Khan said at an event hosted by the Centre for London think tank earlier this week.

“We will be forced to move into ‘managed decline’ leading to rundown services reminiscent of the 1970s and 1980s.

“This is no exaggeration. Bus services would have to be reduced by almost a fifth. Tube services would need to be cut by nearly 10 per cent. In practice this could mean over 100 bus routes being withdrawn and the full closure of a whole Tube line.”

Read more

TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Transport for London

Trending Articles

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

    Tech
    Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background
  • Which is the smelliest Tube line?

    Opinion
    Passenger wearing a blue surgical mask and coat on a London Underground train.
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • Heathrow overtaken by Istanbul as Europe’s busiest airport

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Commercial airplane landing at Heathrow Airport, seen from behind, with a prominent Heathrow sign below.
  • Hammersmith Bridge is a test for Burnham’s place-based growth

    Opinion
    Hammersmith Bridge closed in 2021 with fencing, banners, and traffic cones blocking access to the walkway.
  • Easyjet extends window for another Castlelake bid

    Aviation
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
  • When the City unites: Why this year’s City Giving Day matters more than ever

    Partner
    Group of people, including two aldermen, holding City Giving Day balloons at an event.
  • Burnham’s devolution drive could ‘push 90,000 jobs out of London’

    Economics
    In 2022, rolling Tube strikes led to massive queues for crowded buses. (Photo by Chris J Ratcliffe/Getty Images)
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook