Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,717.78
-0.24%
DAX
25,977.10
-0.44%
CAC 40
8,465.96
-0.42%
STOXX 50
6,424.85
-0.30%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 03 July 2015 2:39 am

One minute’s silence planned at midday for Tunisia attack victims, with Queen and David Cameron leading the silence

By: Catherine Neilan

Add as a preferred source on Google

Britons up and down the country will take part in a one minute's silence today to remember the 38 people who were killed in the attack on a beach in Tunisia last week. 
 
The Queen will lead the silence, which will take place at midday, with the Duke of Edinburgh at the University of Strathclyde  David Cameron will also take part from his constituency in Witney. 
 
Flags at both Buckingham Palace and Whitehall will be flown at half-mast. 
 
Play at Wimbledon, which usually begins at 11:30am, will be delayed for the commemoration. 
 
Police officers across the country will take part, the National Police Chiefs Council said.
 
https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/616886179779215360
 
https://twitter.com/CityPolice/status/616893494477635584
 
A special ceremony will also be held at the scene of the killings in Sousse. Londoners are also being invited to pay tribute to the victims in a book of condolence, which is being made available at South Council's Tooley Street base. 
 
https://twitter.com/se1/status/616920825250377728
 
A number of mosques are expected to participate in the silence, and many will also remember the victims, 30 of whom were British, during Friday prayers.
 
More bodies are expected to be flown back to RAF Brize Norton today and the first inquests are expected to begin today at West London Coroner's Court. So far 17 bodies have been repatriated. 
 
Coroner Chinyere Inyama is expected to open and adjourn the hearings, with further inquests due to start on Saturday and Sunday.
 
Thomson and First Choice, which are owned by Tui Travel, have said all 30 British people killed were its customers.
 
"The whole company would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of those involved in this tragic event," the group added.
 
"Our main focus now is to ensure the families of the deceased and our customers who have been injured receive all possible support at this incredibly difficult time."

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • David Cameron
  • People

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • Silence Therapeutics Announces Closing of Upsized Public Offering and Full Exercise of Underwriters’ Option to Purchase Additional ADSs

    Business Wire
  • Silence Therapeutics to Host Conference Call and Webcast to Discuss Topline Results from Phase 2 SANRECO Trial of Divesiran in Polycythemia Vera

    Business Wire
  • Silence Therapeutics Announces Proposed Public Offering of $150 Million of American Depositary Shares

    Business Wire
  • Silence Therapeutics Announces Pricing of Upsized $175 Million Underwritten Public Offering

    Business Wire
  • Silence Therapeutics Announces Positive Topline Results from Phase 2 SANRECO Trial of Divesiran in Polycythemia Vera, Supporting its Potential Best-in-Class Profile

    Business Wire
  • Silence Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2026 Financial and Business Results

    Business Wire
  • We can’t all create jobs. But we can all create opportunities.

    AD
    Smiling woman in glasses giving a presentation in front of a bright pink ARRIVAL screen.
  • West Ham: Staveley receives Sadiq Khan encouragement to buy London Stadium

    Sport Business
    Low-angle view of a football stadium from the pitch, showing the corner marking and empty seats under a blue sky
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook