Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
-0.42%
CAC 40
8,453.09
-0.57%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
-0.35%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 27 June 2019 8:53 am  |  Updated:  Thursday 27 June 2019 8:54 am

Pendragon CEO leaves after just three months in charge

By: Joe Curtis

Add as a preferred source on Google
Pendragon boss Mark Herbert steps down after just three months at the car dealership
Pendragon boss Mark Herbert steps down after just three months at the car dealership

Car dealership Pendragon’s chief executive is stepping down less than three months into the job.

Read more: Pendragon shares crash on ‘accelerating’ losses

Mark Herbert will quit his post as CEO on 30 June by mutual agreement with the board, the firm advised today.

Herbert, who only joined the company in April, was called a “proven, successful leader” by chairman Chris Chambers ahead of his appointment.

Chambers also called him the “ideal person to lead Pendragon through the next phase of its development”.

Now, however, Herbert will leave after Pendragon swung to a £2.8m loss before tax in its opening quarter of 2019.

Shares dropped almost four per cent to 17p on the announcement and Liberum advised investors to sell their stakes.

The analyst noted that Herbert and the board may have disagreed over how much work was required to turn around the dealership.

“Any CEO coming in to Pendragon was going to have his work cut out,” Liberum said.

“The conclusion we draw from today’s announcement is that there may have been a difference of opinion on the level of change required,” Liberum said.

Read more

Lehman Brothers Treasury Announces the Successful Sale of its Remaining Intercompany Claim against Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.

“From our perspective, we remain to be convinced on the Car Store stand-alone used car strategy, particularly given the business is expected to make a loss of £25m this year.

“We think it unlikely that a CEO from a listed peer would want to make the move, particularly without a mandate to review the whole strategy.”

Pendragon’s shares lost a quarter of their value earlier this month as the car seller warned investors of a significant first half loss.

It blamed an excess of used car stock, higher costs and lower than anticipated margins on new cars.

“Notwithstanding the challenging market and uncertain macro outlook, the expected loss for the year is still disappointing,” Herbert said at the time.

Chambers said today: “The board remains fully committed to realising the long-term strategy.

“In the nearer term, despite challenging market conditions and the costly stock reduction programme, our focus will remain on taking steps to improve the performance of the business as outlined in our recent financial and operational review.”

Read more: Pendragon shares tumble on fresh profit warning

Pendragon has kickstarted a hunt for a new CEO, until which time chief operating officer Martin Casha and chief financial officer Mark Willis will lead the business, reporting to Chambers.

Read more

Lehman Brothers Treasury Considers Sale and Final Wind-Down

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Retail

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

More from Morning Wire

  • Lehman Brothers Treasury Announces the Successful Sale of its Remaining Intercompany Claim against Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.

    Business Wire
  • Lehman Brothers Treasury Considers Sale and Final Wind-Down

    Business Wire
  • Top business group pitches Burnham for role as ‘delivery partner’

    Business
    Shevaun Haviland, British Chambers of Commerce boss, speaking at a business event, emphasizing economic growth strategies
  • Exclusive: Sydney Opera House and Gherkin designer Arup loses finance chief

    Consulting
    Sydney Opera House at dawn with illuminated sails reflecting on calm water and a cloudy sky
  • Businesses slam brakes on hiring over Burnham uncertainty

    Economics
    Andy Burnham speaking passionately at a public event, wearing a suit, highlighting his role as a prominent political figure.
  • FCA charges City lawyer with insider dealing over maternity brand acquisition

    Legal
    The FCA said in June any scheme must keep the market afloat in order to curb rising costs for consumers.
  • Burnham facing calls to cut employment red tape as job seekers grow for 41 months

    Economics
    Office for National Statistics
  • We’re being taxed out of existence, companies warn

    Economics
    Rachel Reeves speaking at an IOD event.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook