Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,501.91
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 13 February 2023 4:45 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 13 February 2023 4:57 pm

Post-Grenfell, second staircase for London buildings taller than 30 metres now mandatory, says Sadiq Khan

By: Elena Siniscalco

Add as a preferred source on Google
Third Anniversary Of Grenfell Tower Fire
The requirement for a second staircase in high rise buildings will take effect immediately

All new London buildings taller than 30 metres will be required to have a second staircase, Mayor Sadiq Khan has announced.

All planning applications will need to adhere to the building safety measure, which comes into force with immediate effect, before going to the GLA for sign off.

The requirement for a second staircase in high-rise buildings was brought into focus by the Grenfell Tower fire.

The 67 metres tall building only had one staircase in line with building regulations, but it meant search and rescue operations by the fire brigade were harder to conduct and it was harder for residents to escape the building.

The Department for Levelling Up aims to roll-out the measure to the whole of England and Wales and has told developers to start preparing for its introduction.

Some developers are already incorporating the measure, such as Ballymore which last year redesigned a 52-storey building in London’s Docklands to include a second staircase following campaigning from the London Fire Brigade and action groups.

The second staircase requirement is expected to cost the construction industry £1.6bn over the next 10 years.

Mary-Anne Bowring of residential property group Ringley Group said that without mitigating initiatives, the viability of many schemes in the build process will be questioned.

“Whilst the change might well be the long-term goal, it’s the fragility of where we are today that is the problem”, she said. 

Bowring added that a second staircase means developers will have to lose a number of units as a higher percentage of the building becomes circulation space, which could hamper the viability of affordable housing projects. 

The move has been welcomed by campaigners as a first step towards tighter building safety regulations. Yet Giles Grover, co-lead of End Our Cladding Scandal campaign, said he’s still worried developers will “repeat their tricks by seeking to develop buildings centimetres below that height to evade important safety requirements”. The architect’s body and the National Fire Chief Council had also previously suggested a second staircase should be required respectively in buildings higher than 11 and 18 metres. 

Read more

Crystal Palace stadium set for £130m revamp with 25,000 seats

Outdoor athletic stadium with red running track, green field, blue spectator seating, and large scoreboards.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Property

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

More from Morning Wire

  • Crystal Palace stadium set for £130m revamp with 25,000 seats

    Sport Business
    Outdoor athletic stadium with red running track, green field, blue spectator seating, and large scoreboards.
  • Sadiq Khan’s London plan is not nearly ambitious enough

    Opinion
    The Mayor of London, Sir Sadiq Khan, has this morning announced a £1.4m cash injection for community sport across the capital.
  • Sadiq Khan urges tougher Ofcom action as UK prepares social media ban rules

    Tech
    Sadiq Khan addressing media at a press conference in formal attire, discussing recent developments in London policies
  • Housebuilders urge Rayner to ‘hit the ground running’ and rip up planning red tape

    Property
    Angela Rayner, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party, smiling in glasses at an event with camera crew and lighting
  • Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

    Transport & Infrastructure
    20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year
  • West Ham: Staveley receives Sadiq Khan encouragement to buy London Stadium

    Sport Business
    Low-angle view of a football stadium from the pitch, showing the corner marking and empty seats under a blue sky
  • Sadiq Khan lobbies Burnham to appoint Miliband as Chancellor 

    Politics
    Sadiq Khan addressing media at a press conference in formal attire, discussing recent developments in London policies
  • Is the Audi Q9 the poshest Audi yet?

    Life&Style
    Dark blue Audi Q9 SUV parked on concrete with a modern building and sunset sky in the background.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook