Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 27 August 2020 6:48 pm  |  Updated:  Thursday 27 August 2020 6:49 pm

Pret a Manger to axe 2,800 jobs as sales fall to lowest level in a decade

By: Edward Thicknesse

Add as a preferred source on Google
High street stalwart Pret a Manger said today that it would cut 2,800 jobs as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, which has seen sales drop to levels last seen a decade ago.

High street stalwart Pret a Manger said today that it would cut 2,800 jobs as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, which has seen sales drop to levels last seen a decade ago.

The announcement comes after Pret earlier this year revealed that it would not reopen 30 of its restaurants after the lockdown ended.

Sales at the eatery, a common site in city centres around the country, remain around 60 per cent down this year.

The chain is especially popular with office workers, the majority of whom are yet to return to their offices on a full time basis.

Around 1,000 other jobs at the firm were preserved, Pret said, as a result of staff moving to minimum hours contracts.

By the time the restructuring is finished, Pret’s headcount will have shrunk to 6,000 across 367 stores.

Chief executive Pano Christou said that he was “gutted” by the redundancies.

Read more

Back to basics: Sainsbury’s gradual retreat from the British high street

Sainsbury’s Cobham. Credit: David Parry/PA Media Assignments.

“I’m gutted that we’ve had to lose so many colleagues. Although we’re now starting to see a steady but slow recovery, the pandemic has taken away almost a decade of growth at Pret”, he said.

“We’ve managed to protect many jobs by making changes to the way we run our shops and the hours we ask Team Members to work.

“I’m hopeful we’ll be able to review all these changes now that trade is improving again, and I’m encouraged by the improvements we’re seeing every week.”

Although weekly sales at Pret rose seven per cent in July, they currently stand at £5.2m, the same level as in August 2010.

Pret’s cuts come just days after the CBI revealed that employment in the retail sector fell 45 per cent in August, the sharpest drop since February 2009.

According to the CBI, that figure will only grow as the government winds down its job retention scheme over the next two months.

As a result, many have called for an extension to the furlough scheme, warning that if the government does not take action the UK could be hit by a massive wave of redundancies over the winter.

Pret’s Christou thanked the government for its support, saying he hoped that it continued “for as long as possible”.

Read more

The decline of Harvey Nichols is a tale of London’s decline too

Harvey Nichols department store at night, illuminated with neon signs and colorful window displays.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Retail

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • Back to basics: Sainsbury’s gradual retreat from the British high street

    Retail
    Sainsbury’s Cobham. Credit: David Parry/PA Media Assignments.
  • The decline of Harvey Nichols is a tale of London’s decline too

    Opinion
    Harvey Nichols department store at night, illuminated with neon signs and colorful window displays.
  • Burnham’s devolution drive could ‘push 90,000 jobs out of London’

    Economics
    In 2022, rolling Tube strikes led to massive queues for crowded buses. (Photo by Chris J Ratcliffe/Getty Images)
  • Google backs publisher model as Apple considers price tag for news

    Media
    AI copyright laws
  • ‘Cost of business crisis’ as government drives up overheads by 70 per cent in a decade

    Business
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, drinking a pint of beer in a busy pub setting
  • Domestic policies are choking UK businesses

    Opinion
    London skyline with The Shard, Walkie Talkie, and Gherkin skyscrapers towering over residential buildings and autumn trees.
  • Back bookshops in bid to rebuild high streets, Burnham urged

    Retail
    Bloomsbury has reported results ahead of consensus expectations
  • Fishing retailer catches sales boost to defy summer drought

    Retail
    Four people fishing from a blue boat under a brick bridge on a river.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook