Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 14 September 2016 10:27 pm

Prime Minister Theresa May set to power up Hinkley Point

By: Mark Sands and Tracey Boles

Add as a preferred source on Google

The government is expected to press the button on two new nuclear reactors in Somerset as early as this week.

Yesterday, reports suggested that the government has told France it has approved an £18bn plan by French company EDF to build two nuclear reactors at Hinkley Point in Somerset.

The likely green light for the reactors is subject to some conditions according to Bloomberg. The original proposal included £6bn of Chinese investment but it is thought the UK could seek to drive a tougher bargain with China over the controversial project. The contractors involved – France's EDF and China's CDC – may be asked to accept a lower 'strike price' for the electricity the project will generate.

Read more: Is Hinkley Point just a colossal white elephant?

Prime Minister Theresa May decided to review the new reactors for Hinkley Point C at the end of July, shortly after she came to power, casting doubt on a project approved by her predecessor David Cameron. The unexpected delay came amid concerns about the scale of public subsidy for the plants and whether Chinese involvement constituted a security risk.

A senior government source told Morning Wire that May had “wanted more detail and she’s now had that”. They added suggestions of a rift with Chinese president Xi Jinping over the project, which threatened tens of billions' worth of potential investment into the UK, had been overstated.

“The Chinese have been perfectly understanding and have been very patient,” they said.

Read more: Britain should not put Hinkley above national security

Last night, Downing Street said that a decision is due this month. However, Thursday is the last possible day for a statement to parliament before the House of Commons goes into recess so that MPs can attend the autumn party conferences.

The deal had been linked to the Chinese-supported construction of another reactor at Bradwell, but business secretary Greg Clark this week claimed that was no longer the case.

Speaking in parliament late on Tuesday, Clark said the government was specifically reviewing the energy prices guaranteed to EDF for 35 years as part of the deal.

Read more: Public support for Hinkley Point hits all-time low

Under the terms of the subsidy scheme, the British consumer would compensate EDF for lower wholesale electricity prices over Hinkley’s 35-year lifetime, an arrangement that has looked increasingly poor value as energy costs have plummeted in line with the declining oil price.

The project is of strategic importance for China. CDC intends to take stakes in a similar nuclear reactor at Sizewell, and in another at Bradwell.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Sizewell B granted 20-year life extension

    Energy
    Sizewell B nuclear power station in Norfolk with clear skies and surrounding landscape, highlighting energy infrastructure.
  • Westinghouse and Amentum Partner to Expand Delivery Capacity for APX Fleet Deployment

    Business Wire
  • Grid operator issues fresh heatwave warning over power supplies

    Energy
    Air conditioning vents in a grid pattern, illustrating cooling solutions during a heatwave
  • Rolls-Royce share jump as profit beats expectations

    Industrials
    Rolls-Royce is a member of the FTSE 100. Credit - Getty.
  • The water industry needs investment, not confiscation

    Opinion
    Thames Water infrastructure with pipes and maintenance workers, highlighting water management efforts in London
  • BAE Systems raises guidance yet Burnham wavers on defence

    Industrials
    Andy Burnham and Volodymyr Zelenskyy walking, with uniformed military personnel in background.
  • Quaise Energy Raises $134 Million in Initial Close of Series B to Build World’s First Superhot Geothermal Power Plant

    Business Wire
  • Magic Circle firm Linklaters sees partner profits soar to £2.5m after record year

    Legal
    Exterior of 20 Ropemaker, a modern London office building, showcasing its sleek architecture and urban setting.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook