Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,501.91
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 10 August 2016 5:22 pm

Rank Group and 888 Holdings still want the chance to woo William Hill for a takeover deal

By: Francesca Washtell

Add as a preferred source on Google

Rank Group and 888 Holdings have hit back at William Hill's rejection of their £3.6bn takeover offer yesterday, claiming the move would save £100m per year in cost synergies. 

The consortium formed by Rank, the operator of Grosvenor Casinos, and online gambling giant 888 has not given up, saying it would still "welcome the opportunity to engage" with the bookmaker's board to strike a deal.

It said it had identified £100m in annual cost savings from significantly enhanced scale and diversification, increased marketing effectiveness and mitigation against any adverse regulatory change. 

"Everything William Hill needs, we have on steroids," 888 chief executive Itai Frieberger told Morning Wire "With the revenue synergies we could make this combination could generate a lot of opportunities for them."

The consortium proposed Henry Birch, current Rank chief executive, would head the newly-enlarged group while 888 chief Itai Frieberger would become the chief executive of the group's digital arm.

However, William Hill said last night that the proposal is “highly opportunistic, complex and poses significant risk for shareholders”. It added that the takeover would lead to the combined group “operating with substantially increased leverage of approximately £2.2bn”.

William Hill boss Gareth Davis said the board sees “no merit in engaging with a proposal that substantially undervalues” the firm.

Read more: William Hill says Euro 2016 made up for Cheltenham losses in first half

The proposal, formally submitted yesterday, valued William Hill at 364p per share and proposed forming a three-way merger to form a new company, BidCo.

William Hill shareholders would represent 44.7 per cent of the enlarged group, with 888 and Rank shareholders representing 25.7 per cent and 29.6 per cent of the new group respectively. 

​The bookmaker swiftly shot down the offer, with its board unanimously rejecting the takeover bid the same afternoon. 

William Hill said it had taken into consideration "the substantial risk" for its shareholders presented by the proposal.

It cited the "highly complicated" three-way combination at a low premium with BidCo assuming approximately £2.2bn of leverage in order to fund the cash element of the consideration and refinance existing debt within the three companies.

Read more: Online gambling operators could struggle in post-Brexit Gibraltar

Chief executive of Rank, Henry Birch, told Morning Wire that Rank and 888 would not look to merge if William Hill was not involved in the combination. 

"I think at this stage we are focused on what we see as generating the most value for our respective shareholders. And actually, when we sit down and look at that the most value is created for those three sets of shareholders by a three-way combination," Birch said. 

Earlier on today, a member of the 888 founding family, Eyal Shaked, vented his frustration with William Hill's shooting-down of the proposal on Twitter, saying the bookie had been driven by "pure ego".

Pure ego made #WilliamHill reject #Rank and #888 £3.16bn bid and that will be their downfall. https://t.co/51roD63iI9

— Eyal Shaked 🇮🇱 (@Eshaked) August 9, 2016

The ailing bookmaker has been perceived by many as a takeover target as it has battled to break into the online betting market but has been losing ground to rivals.

Last week it snapped up gaming software firm Grand Parade to try and keep up with the digital shift.

In July, chief executive James Henderson announced he would step down after failing to turn the group's online operations around and a difficult start to 2016.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • Easyjet extends window for another Castlelake bid

    Aviation
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
  • Private equity firms eye valuation gap as City falls to takeovers

    Markets
    The FTSE 100 could face trouble as banks suffer from bond market turmoil.
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • Easyjet takes £200m profit hit in Iran war travel chaos

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Ryanair has axed around 170 services while Easyjet said it was cancelling 274 flights because of French air traffic control strikes.
  • Bingo halls at risk if Burnham hikes taxes, Mecca Bingo owner warns

    Hospitality
    Smiling female receptionist with glasses handing a card to a customer at a bright reception desk.
  • Astrazeneca share price tumbles on $400bn megamerger talks

    Investing
    Astrazeneca headquarters with logo, reflecting commitment to reduce US medicine prices after Trump administration pressure
  • Engineering group picked off London Stock Exchange in £4.1bn deal

    Markets
    Rotork industrial machinery in manufacturing plant showcasing advanced automation technology and engineering excellence
  • ITV hands shareholders £100m returns after £1.6bn Sky deal

    Media
    Studios revenue rose three per cent to £893m, driven by an 11 per cent jump in external sales to streaming platforms.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook