Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,749.42
+0.01%
DAX
26,050.85
+0.26%
CAC 40
8,459.58
+0.08%
STOXX 50
6,441.84
+0.31%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 16 June 2026 7:38 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 16 June 2026 3:18 pm

Rathbones to suspend thousands of client account inflows after FCA probe deals £530m blow

By: Maisie Grice

Investment Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Less than half of UK consumers who invest do not identify as one
Rathbones undertook a review following FCA engagement

Rathbones is set to lose out on hundreds of millions of pounds of inflows after it suspended contributions from thousands of customers following an independent investigation into its business amid concerns from the Financial Conduct Authority.

The review into the company, known as a skilled person review, uncovered compliance shortcomings in its UK wealth management business, following engagement with the financial watchdog.

Rathbones said it will undertake a two year remediation programme addressing the recommendations in the review, and will stop taking on new enhanced due diligence clients, the FTSE 250 group’s high-risk clients, for the next year, a major blow to the firm’s relationships with its most valuable customers.

Gross inflows from these clients totalled roughly £370m in the last year.

Meanwhile, inflows into general investment accounts from around 4,700 of these clients will also be paused, which account for around £530m in gross inflows.

£60m in costs

These actions are expected to rack up costs of £60m, but the shareholder dividend will remain unchanged while the group’s £20m share buyback programme will also begin shortly.

Rathbones will also cease charging investment management fees on cash balances within discretionary portfolios from July 1, damaging pre-tax profit by an estimated £9m this year.

Jonathan Sorrell, Chief Executive Officer, said: “We are committed to operating to the highest standards on behalf of our clients.

“The work we are undertaking will support and accelerate our vision to be the best wealth manager in the UK, by far. Our strategy is unchanged and we continue to make strong progress against the plan set out in February. I am grateful for the constructive engagement with the FCA, and the continued trust of our clients as we implement these improvements.”

Read more

Rathbones suffers near £1bn net outflows as it braces for FCA probe fallout

Business professionals in formal attire engaged in a lively discussion at a corporate meeting in a modern office setting.

The group’s share price crashed 16.1 per cent in early trading to 1,636.7p, with shares down 13.4 per cent since the start of the year.

Damaged ambitions?

The decision to halt the onboarding of its high-risk and complex clients could be a major blow to Sorrell, who took the helm in August 2025, and the wider group after it spoke of its ambition earlier this year to become the “best wealth manager in the UK by far”.

The group set it sights on becoming the country’s leading wealth manager following the release of its 2025 full year results in February, through becoming the first choice for both customers and talent, with Sorrell hailing AI as an effective tool which allows advisers to focus “on the human relationship we have with our client”.

Iain Hooley, group finance director, also said at the time that the group was also looking to attract older clients in a bid to capitalise on the “intergenerational wealth transfer that’s going to happen”.

Analysts at the time affirmed that the wealth manager must remain focused on building and maintaining client relationships to ensure growth.

Short-term hurdle?

Despite the tumbling share price and reduction of near-term financial estimates and profitability, Peel Hunt retained its buy recommendation for the wealth manager, viewing Rathbone’s decision as as short-term problem rather than a threat to its long-term growth.

In a note released on Tuesday morning, analyst Rae Maile, said: “It is our belief that these are not issues that have arisen recently, but which predate the appointment of the new chief executive and his new team.

“While dealing with these issues causes some shorter-term issues of management time, and some cost, the chief executive also makes clear that the process of change will support and accelerate the delivery of the corporate strategy.”

Maile added that it had already not expected “much progress” to be made to net flows in the shorter team as the new management establishes itself.

Read more

Financial services activity ‘drops rapidly’ as investors alarmed by Burnham

Canada

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Investing
  • Business

People & Organisations

  • FCA
  • FTSE 250
  • Rathbones
  • UK economy
  • UK Government

Related Topics

  • investment banking
  • investment platform
  • Investment trusts
  • investors
  • Rathbone Brothers

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Rathbones suffers near £1bn net outflows as it braces for FCA probe fallout

    Investing
    Business professionals in formal attire engaged in a lively discussion at a corporate meeting in a modern office setting.
  • Financial services activity ‘drops rapidly’ as investors alarmed by Burnham

    Economics
    Canada
  • How can wealthy Scots save £46,000 on income tax? Commute from England

    Tax
    Baillie Gifford runs three of the trusts targeted by Saba Capital.
  • ‘One-two punch’ – Families face huge capital gains death tax under Burnham

    Politics
    Andy Burnham supporters rallying with banners and signs at a political event, showcasing enthusiasm and solidarity
  • Finsbury lines up Games Workshop splurge using merger windfall

    Investing
    Games Workshop worked its way into the FTSE 100 last year.
  • Record Interactive Investor inflows drives profit rise at Aberdeen

    Markets
    Hands holding a smartphone displaying a trading platform with cryptocurrency charts and buy/sell buttons, a blurred monito...
  • As it happened: Stocks reach all-time high; US fires back at ‘surprise’ Iran attacks

    Markets
    LSEG logo on a large screen within a modern building displaying stock market data and world indices
  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

    Personal Finance
    GettyImages 452181854 showing a business conference with diverse professionals engaged in a panel discussion.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook