Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 25 January 2024 12:27 pm  |  Updated:  Thursday 25 January 2024 2:21 pm

Revolut account closure lawsuit from late Russian oligarch’s son-in-law struck out by High Court

By: Lars Mucklejohn

Banking and Fintech Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Revolut is among a number of top fintech firms to call for sweeping changes to the stock market and the abolition of stamp duty.
Revolut is among a number of top fintech firms to call for sweeping changes to the stock market and the abolition of stamp duty.

A High Court judge has struck out a case brought by the son-in-law of a late Russian oligarch against Revolut for “unlawfully” closing his account.

Ildar Uzbekov, the Kazakhstan-born British citizen, brought a breach of contract claim against the fintech last April for shutting his account in April 2020 and reversing £11,000 worth of payments tied to the sale of a Range Rover.

Uzbekov’s lawyer told the High Court in London last week that Revolut gave no explanation for closing his account but that it seemed “to have resulted from factual mistakes made by Revolut, a coordinated media campaign against him and Revolut’s approach to these issues”.

However, Mr Justice Chamberlain sided with Revolut on Thursday and ruled that the case be struck out as an abuse of process.

He argued the lawsuit’s impact on court resources would be “disproportionate” to the “marginal objective benefit” if Uzbekov were to win.

The court heard Uzbekov was the subject of a “malicious and spurious campaign aimed in part at debanking him and making his position in the UK untenable” and that Revolut took allegations and smears “at face value”.

Mr Justice Chamberlain said there was no evidence to support Uzbekov’s suggestion that the account closure could have been linked to his ethnicity.

Tony Singla KC of Brick Court Chambers, representing Revolut, told the court that the lawsuit “appears to be motivated by the fact that the claimant has experienced numerous bank account closures in the UK”.

Read more

Revolut takes flight with launch of new airport lounges

Revolut Lounge sign on a concrete wall with a person on an escalator holding a rolling suitcase.

He added that Revolut believed keeping Uzbekov’s account “might damage its reputation and goodwill” amid suspicion from financial investigators that he may have been involved in money laundering.

Mr Justice Chamberlain ruled that a determination of breach of contract allegations would not have established “the falsity of the underlying allegations” against Uzbekov or “vindicate” his reputation, which could instead be sought through a defamation case.

The judge added that the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) was “well placed to consider systemic issues” over the improper closure of accounts, with Uzbekov not having made a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

He said: “The facts that no such complaint was made, and that Mr Uzbekov waited more than three years before bringing this claim, both diminish the public interest justification for the deployment of substantial judicial resources on a detailed exploration of the alleged breach of contract in this case.”

Accordingly, the court concluded that the “game was not worth the candle” and the judge ruled that the claim ought to be struck out.

Revolut declined to comment on the ruling when approached by Morning Wire

Gerard Cukier of Keystone Law, the legal representative for Uzbekov, said the firm would seek permission to appeal the judgment next week.

Read more

Revolut founder’s wealth set to balloon amid talks of share award at $500bn valuation

Revolut CEO Nik Storonsky speaking at a business conference, wearing a suit and tie, addressing financial innovation.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Banking
  • Business
  • Legal

Related Topics

  • debanking
  • Revolut

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • Revolut takes flight with launch of new airport lounges

    Fintech
    Revolut Lounge sign on a concrete wall with a person on an escalator holding a rolling suitcase.
  • Revolut founder’s wealth set to balloon amid talks of share award at $500bn valuation

    Fintech
    Revolut CEO Nik Storonsky speaking at a business conference, wearing a suit and tie, addressing financial innovation.
  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

    Lawsuit
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
  • Law firm at centre of BHP mammoth lawsuit sued by its own funder

    Lawsuit
    UK class actions surge, lawyers perceived as primary beneficiaries, public awareness highest since 2020, report finds
  • Former Crystal Palace owner John Textor scores temporary block of Brazilian football club share sale

    Lawsuit
    John Textor says he is ready to sell his stake in Crystal Palace to avoid the club being kicked out of the Europa League due to rules on multi-club ownership.
  • Russian propaganda website hit with record ‘pink slime’ payout at High Court

    Life&Style
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
  • Prince Harry braces for eye watering legal bill after Daily Mail defeat

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook