Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 02 August 2022 11:59 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 02 August 2022 12:44 pm

Rio Tinto completes sale of Cortez Gold Royalty for $525 million in cash

By: Nicholas Earl

Add as a preferred source on Google

Rio Tinto has completed the sale of a package of royalties, including a stake in the Cortez mine operational area to RG Royalties in a $525m deal.

The miner held a 1.2 per cent gross production royalty on the Cortez gold mine, which is operated by Nevada Gold Mines.

It also held a stake in a joint venture between Barrick Gold Corporation (Barrick) and Newmont Corporation, alongside the Fourmile project which is 100 per cent owned and operated by Barrick. 

The company obtained the royalty as partial consideration for the sale of its 40 per cent interest in the Cortez Complex to Barrick in 2008.

Royalty payments commence once the Cortez Complex has produced a total of 15 million ounces of gold since 2008 -which is expected to occur imminently.

Rio Tinto’s  Chief Financial Officer Peter Cunningham said: “This transaction unlocks hidden value from our portfolio and releases cash immediately.”

The company is keen to raise funds after reporting a 29 per cent drop in profits during the first six months of trading this year, amid weaker prices for iron ore as demand eased from top consumer China.

Read more

As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as Antofagasta prompts miner sell-off; oil prices cool

Glencore floated on the London Stock Exchange in 2011 and is one of the largest members of the FTSE 100.

The drop in earnings has caused the multinational miner to slash its dividend in half, with the company also weighed down by higher costs driven by inflation and skilled labour shortages.

The company also cut its capital investment forecast for 2022 by $500m to $7.5bn.

The hit represents a sharp turn in fortunes for the miner which in February unveiled a £12.4bn dividend for its shareholders, the second largest in the history of the London Stock Exchange.

Rio Tinto has also been plagued with scandal following its destruction of a sacred Aboriginal cave system last year, which sat on top of around £75m worth of high-grade iron ore.

The cave system, in the Juukan Gorge near Pilbara, had shown signs of continued human occupation for more than 46,000 years – before it was blown up.

A new leadership team was brought in after a severe backlash from shareholders, consumers and politicians, and the company commissioned an internal workplace review into its business culture.

This revealed 21 reports of actual or attempted rape in the past five years alongside widespread bullying and discrimination.

Read more

As it happened: Oil prices tumble as Bessent says US-Iran deal imminent; miner stocks rally

Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Morning Wire Content

Related Topics

  • Company
  • Rio Tinto

Trending Articles

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as Antofagasta prompts miner sell-off; oil prices cool

    FTSE 100 Live
    Glencore floated on the London Stock Exchange in 2011 and is one of the largest members of the FTSE 100.
  • As it happened: Oil prices tumble as Bessent says US-Iran deal imminent; miner stocks rally

    Markets
    Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.
  • Glencore targets secondary listing in Australia as London loses mining shine

    Mining
    Glencore corporate headquarters building exterior with the company logo sign, representing the commodities firm.
  • West Ham: Staveley receives Sadiq Khan encouragement to buy London Stadium

    Sport Business
    Low-angle view of a football stadium from the pitch, showing the corner marking and empty seats under a blue sky
  • Staveley planning ‘big property play’ as she closes in on West Ham stake

    Sport Business
    Smiling woman with blonde hair and black sunglasses in a black coat
  • Algoma Central Corporation Reports Financial Results for the 2026 Second Quarter

    Business Wire
  • Former Crystal Palace owner John Textor scores temporary block of Brazilian football club share sale

    Lawsuit
    John Textor says he is ready to sell his stake in Crystal Palace to avoid the club being kicked out of the Europa League due to rules on multi-club ownership.
  • BXB Estates Completes AED 110 Million Record-Breaking Sale, the Highest Residential Transaction in Jumeirah Golf Estates History

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook