Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,767.07
+0.16%
DAX
26,445.28
+0.02%
CAC 40
8,627.72
-0.11%
STOXX 50
6,557.19
+0.27%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 26 July 2023 9:45 am

Rio Tinto profits sink as iron ore prices ease and China’s economy stutters

By: Nicholas Earl

Add as a preferred source on Google
Glencore floated on the London Stock Exchange in 2011 and is one of the largest members of the FTSE 100.

Rio Tinto has reported its lowest first-half year profits since the pandemic as falling iron ore prices dragged down earnings.

The Anglo-Australian miner has reported underlying earnings of £4.42bn ($5.7bn) for the first six months of the year, well below the £6.69bn ($8.63bn) figure posted 12 months ago.

It has now slashed its dividend to $1.77 per share, a sharp reduction on last year’s offering of $2.67 per share for investors.

Iron ore accounts for roughly 70 per cent of Rio Tinto’s profits, which used across the world as a key steel-making ingredient.

However, Rio Tinto has suffered from lower commodity prices during the first six months of trading this year amid slowing global demand and a stuttering revival in China’s economy – the company’s key market.

Average realised prices for iron ore from its Western Australian mine in Pilbata slipped to $76.38 ($98.60) per wet metric ton (wmt) in the first half of the year, 11.1 per cent below last year.

This offset a seven per cent rise in shipments of the steel-making ingredient to 161.7m metric tons.

The world’s largest iron ore producer has also raised issues over a shortage of skilled workers in a tight labour market, alongside supply-chain problems.

“Our operations and growth projects continue to be impacted by high unplanned absences, tight labour markets, rising input costs and supply chain disruptions,” the company said in a statement.

Read more

Glencore and Rio Tinto strike gold on high commodity prices

Jakob Stausholm will step down after more than four years as chief executive of the FTSE 100 mining giant.

Looking ahead, Rio Tinto was optimistic that China’s stimulus proposals will boost economic activity after its economy struggled with an uneven recovery from the pandemic, raising iron ore demand.

Rio Tinto chief executive Jakob Stausholm said: “We have a clear pathway to building an even stronger Rio and continue to gain momentum in our strategy to set the business up for long-term success. We are making good progress on pursuing our four objectives as we build further momentum in our Pilbara iron ore business, mindful that we need to raise our game across many of our other operations”.

The company’s four objectives are to be the best operator, excel in development, have impeccable ESG credentials, and act within a social licence.

However, Rio Tinto has been scrambling to restore its reputation since it destroyed two ancient rock shelters in the Juukan Gorge, Western Australia, over three years ago.

The sacred Aboriginal cave system, had shown signs of continued human occupation for more than 46,000 years – before it was blown up in exchange for £75m of iron ore.

A new leadership team was brought in after a severe backlash from shareholders, consumers and politicians, and the company commissioned an internal workplace review into its business culture.

This revealed 21 reports of actual or attempted rape in the past five years alongside widespread bullying and discrimination across the company.

It has since made commitments to implement dozens of recommendations to improve its workplace environment, and pledged to create a foundation for cultural projects in the Pilbara region where the cave system formerly stood.

Read more

As it happened: Oil prices tumble as Bessent says US-Iran deal imminent; miner stocks rally

Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Energy

Related Topics

  • Company
  • Energy
  • Rio Tinto

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

More from Morning Wire

  • Glencore and Rio Tinto strike gold on high commodity prices

    Mining
    Jakob Stausholm will step down after more than four years as chief executive of the FTSE 100 mining giant.
  • As it happened: Oil prices tumble as Bessent says US-Iran deal imminent; miner stocks rally

    Markets
    Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as Antofagasta prompts miner sell-off; oil prices cool

    FTSE 100 Live
    Glencore floated on the London Stock Exchange in 2011 and is one of the largest members of the FTSE 100.
  • Glencore targets secondary listing in Australia as London loses mining shine

    Mining
    Glencore corporate headquarters building exterior with the company logo sign, representing the commodities firm.
  • As it happened: Stocks reach all-time high; US fires back at ‘surprise’ Iran attacks

    Markets
    LSEG logo on a large screen within a modern building displaying stock market data and world indices
  • Algoma Central Corporation Reports Financial Results for the 2026 Second Quarter

    Business Wire
  • Shell launches bumper buyback after earnings more than double on Middle East turmoil

    Energy
    Shell CEO Wael Sawan in a boardroom setting, highlighting his reported £4.5m pay boost under new remuneration policy.
  • Kolibri Global Energy Inc. Announces Another Record for Its Highest Quarterly Revenue of $22.5 Million With a 46% Production Increase and a 197% Net Income Increase for the Second Quarter of 2026

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook