Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 16 January 2024 8:44 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 16 January 2024 10:08 am

Rio Tinto: We are in state of ‘chronic unease’ over safety at our mines

By: Rhodri Morgan

Add as a preferred source on Google
Rio Tinto also said it intends to strengthen its iron-ore operations in Western Australia's Pilbara region.

The flagging Chinese real estate sector and serious injury frequencies across global sites have been highlighted by mining giant Rio Tinto in its Q4 2023 production results.

Despite a fifth year without a fatality, the mining giant today said that 2023 saw multiple injury incidents including two permanent disabling injuries.

Rio said it was “applying learnings to enhance processes across our operations”.

The company also pinned stimulus packages for the Chinese economy as drivers for a “gradual recovery” through 2024 despite key areas remaining weak.

In the world’s second-largest miner’s fourth quarter results for 2023, released today, the company said consumer goods and automotive strength in China was supporting a continually weak real estate sector that is not expected to recover in the short term, continuing to suppress demand for major miners like Rio.

Iron ore shipments in 2023 were up three per cent year on year to 331.8m metric tons (Mt), the mid-point of its guidance of 320 – 335m Mt and in line with analysts forecasts, but fourth-quarter shipments fell 1 per to 86.3m Mt.

Production of mined copper (on a consolidated basis) and aluminium was higher by 2 per cent and 9 per cent respectively.

Around 323 – 338 Mt iron ore is forecasted for the fiscal 2024 year as the the second largest miner in the world seeks to strengthen its iron-ore operations in Western Australia’s Pilbara region, including a $70m investment in the region’s newest mine.

But to account for the drag on production from China, Rio Tinto boosted exploration and evaluation activities last year to the tune of $855m compared with $706m in 2022.

Read more

Glencore and Rio Tinto strike gold on high commodity prices

Jakob Stausholm will step down after more than four years as chief executive of the FTSE 100 mining giant.

This excludes activity on Simandou, Rio’s super-mine in Guinea that it claims is the largest untapped high-grade iron ore deposit in the world, with an expected total yield of around 2.8bn tonnes.

In December, the company announced the acceleration of the construction of the $6.2bn (£4.9bn) site as part of a plan to boost capital spending to $30bn (£28.3bn) over the next three years.

Investors initially reacted poorly to the results, with the company’s share price falling 1.29 per cent at the market opening today.

Track all markets on TradingView

Production of mined copper (on a consolidated basis) and aluminium was higher by two per cent and nine per cent respectively in 2023, while around 323 – 338 Mt iron ore is forecasted for the fiscal 2024 year.

Rio also said it intends to strengthen its iron-ore operations in Western Australia’s Pilbara region, including a $70m investment in its newest mine.

The company added that it remained in a state of “chronic unease” over safety incidents at its global sites.

These include two permanent disabling injuries in 2023, from which the company said it was “applying learnings to enhance processes across our operations”.

Read more

Glencore targets secondary listing in Australia as London loses mining shine

Glencore corporate headquarters building exterior with the company logo sign, representing the commodities firm.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Energy

Related Topics

  • china
  • copper
  • investment
  • Rio Tinto

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Glencore and Rio Tinto strike gold on high commodity prices

    Mining
    Jakob Stausholm will step down after more than four years as chief executive of the FTSE 100 mining giant.
  • Glencore targets secondary listing in Australia as London loses mining shine

    Mining
    Glencore corporate headquarters building exterior with the company logo sign, representing the commodities firm.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as Antofagasta prompts miner sell-off; oil prices cool

    FTSE 100 Live
    Glencore floated on the London Stock Exchange in 2011 and is one of the largest members of the FTSE 100.
  • As it happened: Oil prices tumble as Bessent says US-Iran deal imminent; miner stocks rally

    Markets
    Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.
  • As it happened: Stocks reach all-time high; US fires back at ‘surprise’ Iran attacks

    Markets
    LSEG logo on a large screen within a modern building displaying stock market data and world indices
  • North Sea is not competitive, says BP boss days after exit

    Markets
    British Petroleum BP forecourt with fuel pumps and company signage visible in a business setting, highlighting energy serv...
  • Global Citizen’s links to Fifa chief Motsepe and the first ever World Cup half-time show

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo displayed prominently on a digital screen, representing professional stock photography and licensing ser...
  • London’s IPO lull expected to last into 2027

    Markets
    The London Stock Exchange has had a challenging 2024 so far, although bankers are eying a rebound for IPOs
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook