Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
0.00%
CAC 40
8,501.91
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Sunday 30 October 2016 4:11 pm

Rory McIlroy puts bid for $1.25m Race To Dubai prize on hold and pulls out of Turkish Airlines Open over security fears

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google

World No2 Rory McIlroy admits he may have sacrificed his chances of winning the Race To Dubai by withdrawing from this week’s Turkish Airlines Open because of security concerns.

McIlroy decided to pull out of the event in Antalya on Saturday, four days after a car bomb injured several people in the city, which was also the subject of a rocket attack by militants earlier this month.

Open champion Henrik Stenson moved top of the Race To Dubai by finishing tied for second at the WGC-HSBC Champions in Shanghai on Sunday but is not due to play this week, leaving the way clear for Masters winner Danny Willett to reclaim top spot – and leave McIlroy trailing in the battle for the $1.25m top prize – in Turkey.

Read more: Thomas Cook bookings dip due to volatility in Turkey

“I guess it’s out of my hands. I took the decision not to go to Turkey and those boys can battle it out,” said the Northern Irishman.

“If I have somewhat of a chance going into Dubai [the European Tour finale] that’s great. But if not, I think over the course of the season they have had big wins and played well. They’re two Major champions, so I’m okay with that.”

McIlroy gave move a lot of thought

McIlroy, who also withdrew from the Rio 2016 Olympics amid concerns over the Zika virus, said the decision to skip the tournament in Turkey had been “weighing on my mind”.

He added: “I slept a lot better knowing that I’d made a decision. I gave it a lot of thought, basically all week. The fact that I have won the FedEx Cup this year and that I have won the Race To Dubai before made the decision a little bit easier.”

Matsuyama makes history in China

Japan’s Hideki Matsuyama coasted to victory in Shanghai to become the first Asian winner of a WGC event.

The 24-year-old, who is set to rise to a career-high sixth in the world rankings, carded a final round of 66 to finish 23 under par, seven shots clear of Stenson and American Daniel Berger.

McIlroy was a further shot adrift, tied with Bill Haas.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style

Categories

  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Golf

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 mixed; oil breaks $91 as Trump rules out new US-Iran ceasefire

More from Morning Wire

  • OpenAI’s rogue agent doesn’t scare me – the millions of others do

    Opinion
    Breaking news concept with digital globe and graphs, symbolizing global financial trends and data analysis on a business w...
  • Ombudsman and River to serve up another Juddmonte thriller

    Sport
    Jockey in blue silks riding a brown racehorse with a white blaze, galloping past a blurred crowd at a racecourse
  • Qatar Racing takes over sponsorship of £4.4m British Champions Day

    Sport Business
    Jockey in orange and blue silks on a brown racehorse galloping on a green track, another horse slightly behind.
  • Inside Arabian Falcons: The Dubai football side managed by Jonjo Shelvey

    Sport Business
    Breaking news highlights with a focus on current general events, emphasizing significant developments and updates
  • DEWA International Launched as a Wholly Owned Independent Subsidiary of DEWA to Develop Global Energy and Water Projects

    Business Wire
  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

    Lawsuit
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
  • The GCC’s AI strategy: Inside the region’s $150bn race

    Partner
    Crowd of diverse attendees at GITEX GLOBAL DUBAI tech exhibition, with GITEX signage visible.
  • Pubs toast England World Cup victory over Mexico

    Hospitality
    World Cup celebration with cheering fans, colorful flags, and jubilant players on the field during a thrilling match
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook