Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
0.00%
CAC 40
8,453.09
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 05 August 2021 10:32 am

Rugby League World Cup postponed until 2022 after New Zealand and Australia pull out

The Rugby League World Cup had been due to begin in Newcastle in October
The Rugby League World Cup had been due to begin in Newcastle in October (Credit: Allan McKenzie/SWpix.com/RLWC2021)

The Rugby League World Cup, which was due to be held in England later this year, has been postponed until 2022 due to New Zealand and Australia withdrawing.

After weeks of speculation the decision was made by the RLWC2021 board in conjuncture with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport and the International Rugby League (IRL) Board.

New Zealand and Australia announced last month that they were to pull out of the tournament, citing concerns over rising Covid cases in the UK.

“Today is a challenging moment for everyone involved in Rugby League, but most importantly the players and fans of the competing nations,” said RLWC2021 chief executive Jon Dutton.

“However, following the disappointing decision of the ARLC [Australia] and NZRL [New Zealand] to withdraw, and the subsequent impact on player availability for other competing nations, it is apparent that delivering the tournament this year would not be feasible.”

The refusal from the NRL competition in Australia to allow the release of up to 400 players, match officials and staff members backed organisers into a corner.

“Ultimately this decision has been detrimental to the plans and ambitions of many of the competing nations and potential replacement teams,” RLWC2021 said in its statement.

The Rugby League World Cup was due to begin in Newcastle in October, with some matches also set to be held in London.

It was to be the first edition of the tournament to stage the men’s, women’s and wheelchair competitions concurrently.

The RLWC2021 board said its decision followed extensive and urgent consultation with players, competing nations and the UK government.

“We have always prioritised player voice and player choice,” Dutton added. “We have established a player working group, met with senior players and in the last few days commissioned a player survey to domestic players in Australia and New Zealand that showed more than 85 per cent wanted to compete at RLWC2021 this year.”

Read more

What can the Rugby World Cup learn from US nailing of Fifa World Cup?

Getty Images logo displayed on a digital screen against a blurred background, highlighting the brands global presence

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style
  • News

Categories

  • Morning Wire Content
  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Rugby League

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • What can the Rugby World Cup learn from US nailing of Fifa World Cup?

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo displayed on a digital screen against a blurred background, highlighting the brands global presence
  • Fifa want to sell the family silver but should World Rugby do the same?

    Sport Business
    New Zealand All Blacks rugby players performing the Haka pre-game with arms raised and intense expressions
  • South Africa sport minister on Olympics bid, Formula 1, Springboks and LIV Golf

    Sport Business
    Rugby player in green jersey with Pic n Pay 13 shaking hands with a smiling man in a suit and tie
  • Prem Rugby team ditch Big Game fixture at Premier League ground

    Sport Business
    Empty stadium stands with large banners supporting MND awareness, Gloucester Rugby, and the Slater Cup.
  • Sorry Hearn, Northampton Saints idiots if they pay Pollock £1m

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2282147422
  • Saracens and Harlequins embracing athletics and hockey smart move for rugby

    Sport Business
    Teams and flags on a blue hockey pitch before a match, with a stadium full of spectators.
  • Exclusive: Rugby League monitoring Henry Pollock amid £1m Hearn wage demands

    Sport Business
    A young man with blonde hair and a dark shirt, clenching his fist and smiling, likely celebrating or cheering.
  • Reality is rugby’s Nations Championship is botched

    Sport Business
    Business conference attendees engage in discussions at a networking event, featuring diverse professionals in formal attire.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook