Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 17 February 2021 10:51 am  |  Updated:  Wednesday 17 February 2021 10:52 am

Ryanair to appeal court decision to allow state aid for Air France and SAS

By: Edward Thicknesse

Add as a preferred source on Google
Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary has now bagged a hat-trick of victories in his quest against European state aid for struggling airlines during the pandemic.
Flying high: Ryanair today secured its third victory in a string of legal challenges against EU state aid.

Ryanair this morning said that it would appeal after an EU court dismissed its challenge over state aid given to rivals Air France and SAS.

Luxembourg’s General Court, the EU’s second highest legal body, backed the European Commission’s decision to grant discriminatory aid to the virus-hit carriers.

In its judgement, which was laid out earlier this morning, it said: “That aid scheme is appropriate for making good the economic damage caused by the Covid-19 pandemic and does not constitute discrimination”.

The Irish carrier, Europe’s largest budget flier, has brought 16 lawsuits against the Commission for various state aid programmes.

It has argued that such handouts will distort competition in the aviation market for decades to come.

As well as Air France and SAS, carriers such as Lufthansa, KLM, and TAP have all received whopping state handouts.

Responding to this morning’s judgement, Ryanair said: “During the Covid-19 pandemic over €30bn in discriminatory State subsidies has been gifted to EU flag carriers and, if allowed to stand, this will distort the level playing field in EU aviation for decades to come, giving chronically inefficient national airlines a leg up on their efficient low-fare competitors. 

“We hope that the Court of Justice will overturn the European Commission’s approvals of the French and Swedish schemes, to give airlines and consumers a glimmer of hope that national politicians obsessed with their flag carriers will be sent back to the drawing board and required to use State aid wisely to assist the recovery of traffic in the post-Covid world instead of bailing out their favoured airline at the expense of fair competition and consumers. 

“Now is the time for the European Commission to stop caving in to national governments’ inefficient bail-out policies and start protecting the single market, Europe’s greatest asset for future economic recovery.”

Unlike many European airlines, Ryanair has not received state aid from its government, choosing instead to bolster its formidable balance sheet through other means.

Michael O’Leary, the firm’s chief executive, has been a long-time opponent of state aid. Last year he threatened to sue the UK government after rumours emerged that it was planning to bailout collapsed regional carrier Flybe.

Read more

Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Ryanair

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

    Transport & Infrastructure
    20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year
  • Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations
  • Align Technology Prevails in China Patent Infringement Action Against Angelalign

    Business Wire
  • Top court ‘opens the floodgates’ for part-time workers’ claims

    Lawsuit
    Supreme Court building under clear sky, symbolizing justice and authority, relevant to recent judicial news coverage
  • TikTok loses court battle over £12.7m child privacy fine

    Tech
    Tiktok appeals to overturn US ban in a broader battle for tech regulation
  • Russian propaganda website hit with record ‘pink slime’ payout at High Court

    Life&Style
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
  • Historic French Luxury Leather Goods House Moreau Paris Sold to Leading Manufacturer

    Business Wire
  • Former Crystal Palace owner John Textor scores temporary block of Brazilian football club share sale

    Lawsuit
    John Textor says he is ready to sell his stake in Crystal Palace to avoid the club being kicked out of the Europa League due to rules on multi-club ownership.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook