Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,688.19
-0.51%
DAX
25,922.64
-0.65%
CAC 40
8,452.49
-0.58%
STOXX 50
6,408.51
-0.56%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 21 September 2022 4:07 pm  |  Updated:  Wednesday 21 September 2022 4:08 pm

Sadiq Khan sets up £500m funding facility to cover TfL finance gap

By: Ilaria Grasso Macola

Add as a preferred source on Google
Of the 16,207 approved applications to scrap a petrol or diesel van between January 2023 and May 2024, only 372 were replaced with an EV.
Mayor Sadiq Khan launched the ULEZ scrappage scheme in 2023 to help Londoners and businesses prepare financially for the zone's controversial expansion across Greater London.

London mayor Sadiq Khan has set up a £500m funding facility to cover the £230m gap left by the government’s long-term funding of Transport for London (TfL). 

Khan said that City Hall’s funding facility – which could not be introduced earlier because TfL’s financial gap was too big – will be available to the transport network between now and March 2024, if necessary. 

“City Hall’s innovative yet prudent approach to ensuring TfL can balance its books will help TfL to adapt to the negative impacts of the pandemic without the need for significant service cuts, protecting London’s transport network for the millions of Londoners and visitors who rely on it every day,” Khan said. 

The mayor’s office added that, while the £500m extra funding will avoid additional cuts, it can’t be used to reverse its recent decision to axe or alter 78 of the current 620 bus routes. 

GLA Conservatives blasted the announcement, saying the mayor was losing control of TfL.

“After months of political posturing and scaremongering about TfL cuts from the Mayor, he has now been forced to concede that they are unnecessary,” GLA Conservatives’ transport spokesperson Nick Rogers commented.

“Sadiq Khan needs to get a grip of the millions wasted on a bloated pension scheme and excessive staff perks, scrap his planned bus cuts, and ensure TfL is funded sustainably going forwards.”

The government’s long-term funding for TfL was announced late last month, following strenuous talks between City Hall and government ministers. 

The 20-month £1.2bn deal will keep the capital moving until the spring of 2024, avoiding a “managed decline” scenario.

Morning Wire has approached TfL for comment.

Read more

No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Sadiq Khan
  • Transport for London

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • Councils accused of turning e-bike operators into ‘revenue stream’ as fees surge

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Lime faces growing scrutiny over its safety record.
  • AI reduces founders’ need for capital, says Revolut Business

    Tech
    Canada skyline featuring iconic skyscrapers and modern architecture against a clear blue sky
  • Sadiq Khan urges tougher Ofcom action as UK prepares social media ban rules

    Tech
    Sadiq Khan addressing media at a press conference in formal attire, discussing recent developments in London policies
  • Mayor gives green light for 4am Joshua vs Fury fight at Wembley

    Sport Business
    Business professionals in a meeting analyzing financial data on laptops, highlighting corporate strategy and decision-making.
  • TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

    Tech
    Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background
  • Tory and Labour councillors spar over £300m Hammersmith Bridge plans

    Politics
    Hammersmith Bridge spanning the River Thames, surrounded by lush greenery and clear blue skies, capturing its iconic archi...
  • Sadiq Khan lobbies Burnham to appoint Miliband as Chancellor 

    Politics
    Sadiq Khan addressing media at a press conference in formal attire, discussing recent developments in London policies
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook