Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 30 July 2020 4:20 pm  |  Updated:  Thursday 30 July 2020 4:21 pm

Saudi Arabian takeover of Newcastle United off as bid withdrawn

By: Edward Thicknesse

Add as a preferred source on Google
The Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund (PIF) yesterday announced the formation of a new company which will be at the heart of their sporting ambitions going forward.
The Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund (PIF) yesterday announced the formation of a new company which will be at the heart of their sporting ambitions going forward.

The Saudi Arabia-backed bid to takeover Newcastle United football club has been withdrawn this afternoon.

A consortium made up of the Gulf state’s Public Investment Fund, PCP Capital Partners and the Reuben brothers had reportedly made a £300m bid to businessman Mike Ashley for the Premier League team.

In a statement, the group said: “With a deep appreciation for the Newcastle community and the significance of its football club, we have come to the decision to withdraw our interest in acquiring Newcastle United Football Club.

“We do so with regret, as we were excited and fully committed to invest in the great city of Newcastle and believe we could have returned the club to the position of its history, tradition and fans’ merit.”

The group said that it had pulled out because the prolonged process had made the investment “no longer commercially viable”.

It added that because of the coronavirus pandemic, its commercial agreement with Newcastle’s owners had expired and its investment thesis “could not be sustained”.

The lack of clarity over “the circumstances under which the next season will start and the new norms that will arise for matches, training and other activities” was a particular problem, it added.

Premier League officials had been carrying out an investigation of the takeover as part of its “owners and directors” suitability test.

Earlier this week the BBC revealed that officials had been trying to clarify the links between the Public Investment Fund and the Saudi government.

The fund’s chairman is de facto Saudi leader Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Read more

Staveley planning ‘big property play’ as she closes in on West Ham stake

Smiling woman with blonde hair and black sunglasses in a black coat

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style
  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Football finance
  • Sports money

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Staveley planning ‘big property play’ as she closes in on West Ham stake

    Sport Business
    Smiling woman with blonde hair and black sunglasses in a black coat
  • Aston Villa commercial status a tonic for Premier League in big-spending era

    Sport Business
    Unai Emery, Aston Villa manager, shouts with intensity during a football match, gesturing with his right arm.
  • Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

    Markets
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • SailGP, rugby and PJL: Inside the new £50m budget sporting asset class

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo on a digital screen, representing media and stock photography in a business news context
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss as takeover pressure mounts

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • Premier League and EFL set for summit with Football Regulator over new financial deal

    Sport Business
    Arsenal players celebrate with the Premier League trophy and confetti raining down, cheering on the field.
  • Brewdog owner shrugs off James Watt takeover bid

    Consumer
    BrewDog cans displayed in a variety of flavors and vibrant designs, highlighting the brands diverse craft beer selection.
  • West Ham: Staveley receives Sadiq Khan encouragement to buy London Stadium

    Sport Business
    Low-angle view of a football stadium from the pitch, showing the corner marking and empty seats under a blue sky
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook