Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 06 October 2021 4:00 pm

Saudi Arabia’s £300m Newcastle United takeover revived by truce with beIN

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
Saudi Arabia's takeover of Newcastle United could be back on after the country ended its standoff with Qatari broadcaster beIN
Saudi Arabia's takeover of Newcastle United could be back on after the country ended its standoff with Qatari broadcaster beIN

Saudi Arabia has signalled the end of its long-running stand-off with Qatari broadcaster beIN, in a move that could revive its £300m takeover of Newcastle United.

The U-turn would involve unblocking beIN’s channels in Saudi Arabia, cracking down on any pirating of the network’s output and settling a $1bn lawsuit, sources close to the talks said.

It is the latest development in a thawing of relations between Gulf states, after Saudi Arabia and its allies lifted a blockade on Qatar in January.

A Saudi-led consortium has previously agreed a takeover with Newcastle owner Mike Ashley, only for the Premier League to hold up completion of the sale.

Saudi Arabia has blocked beIN’s signal since 2017, meaning it has been unable to show live Premier League and Champions League football in the kingdom.

During that time a shadow channel appeared in Saudi Arabia that pirated its content wholesale, called beoutQ, which the World Trade Organisation accused the state of involvement in.

The Qatari broadcaster blamed the neighbouring regime and launched legal action against it, claiming the piracy operation had cost it $1bn.

As a major funder of the Premier League through rights deals in several territories, it also argued against a Saudi buyout of Newcastle.

But beIN is expected to drop its opposition to the deal if, as expected, its three legal conditions – stopping piracy, lifting the block on broadcasting, and the lawsuit – are met.

While beoutQ disappeared in 2019, Saudi Arabia has now offered beIN assurances that it will be able to transmit its channels in the country and approached the channel to settle the legal case. 

Read more

Multiply Media Group Expands into Saudi Arabia Through Strategic Partnership with Cenomi Centers and the Launch of BackLite KSA

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style

Categories

  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Football
  • Football
  • Football finance
  • Premier League football
  • Sport business

Trending Articles

  • Nanochon Receives Regulatory Approval from Panamá’s Ministry of Health to Initiate First-in-Human Clinical Study of Chondrograft™

  • Analysis: What would Todd Boehly and Mark Walter stake sales mean for Chelsea?

  • We take a food and drink Odyssey through the Square Mile

  • Paramount-Warner Bros deal faces ‘sufficient competition’, says CMA

  • Watchdog takes aim at lawyers blaming juniors for AI blunders

More from Morning Wire

  • Multiply Media Group Expands into Saudi Arabia Through Strategic Partnership with Cenomi Centers and the Launch of BackLite KSA

    Business Wire
  • Inside Paul Pogba’s Saudi camel racing club Al Haboob

    Sport Business
    Two racing camels with robotic jockeys and numbers on their sides run on a dirt track.
  • Exclusive: Wimbledon chiefs ready to defend brand amid Saudi tennis complex similarities

    Sport Business
    A person cleaning the Wimbledon Championships logo, featuring crossed tennis rackets and a ball.
  • India’s £300m Commonwealth Games dress rehearsal for 2036 Olympics

    Sport Business
    Indian athlete in blue tracksuit receives a white scroll from a woman in a green traditional dress, flanked by two men in ...
  • TOURISE and Oxford Economics Release New Global Report on Tourism Resilience in an Era of Permanent Disruption

    Business Wire
  • Exclusive: Saudi ship struck by Houthis had insurance from Lloyd’s insurance giant

    Insurance
    Rising borrowing costs depicted amid escalating tensions following the Iran war, illustrating economic impact on global ma...
  • Burnham’s cost of living push under threat as oil hits $100

    Markets
    Two men stand in the ocean with multiple oil tankers and cargo ships in the hazy distance.
  • Staveley planning ‘big property play’ as she closes in on West Ham stake

    Sport Business
    Smiling woman with blonde hair and black sunglasses in a black coat
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook