Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,757.76
+0.07%
DAX
26,432.03
-0.03%
CAC 40
8,625.28
-0.13%
STOXX 50
6,554.83
+0.23%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 31 July 2019 4:45 pm

Serco continues to power ahead of outsourcing crowd after US deal

By: Alex Daniel

Add as a preferred source on Google
LONDON - JULY 04: A Serco van used to transport defendants arrives at Highbury Corner Magistrates Court on July 4, 2008 in London, England. Ben Kinsella, the brother of soap actor Brooke Kinsella, was fatally wounded in a knife attack, making him the 17th teenager to have been murdered in London this year. 3 teenagers aged 18 and 19 are appearing at Highbury Magistrates Court today charged with the murder of Ben Kinsella. (Photo by Daniel Berehulak/Getty Images)

Serco shares rose today after it reported a nearly one-third jump in first-half underlying profit.

The outsourcer, which has increasingly looked overseas in recent years, said the increase was in part down to revenue growth in North America.

Read more: Serco fined £19m for government tagging contract fraud

Shares rose five per cent today.

The figures

Underlying profit rose 29 per cent to £50.6m. But the figure does not account for exceptional items which include a £22.9m charge relating to incorrect billing on a contract for electronic tagging.

Revenue rose six per cent to £1.5bn, while net debt reduced to £206.7m.

Why it’s interesting

In Serco’s last annual results, it finally returned to profitability after years in the doldrums. The firm continues to defy the woes of its peers in the outsourcing industry such as Interserve, which went into temporary administration earlier this year.

Earlier this year, Serco agreed on the acquisition of a US naval defence business for $225m, which it said will add to the “scale and capability of our US defence business”. 

This transaction is likely to go through faster than expected, chief executive Rupert Soames said today, with regulatory approval likely to be granted in the coming months.

Read more: Deloitte fined £6.5m for role in Serco tagging scandal

What Serco said

Chief executive Rupert Soames said: “The strategic advantage of having a strong international footprint shows clearly in these results, with strong revenue growth in North America and AsPac.

“I am also delighted to see the UK & Europe division reaping the benefit of the Carillion health facilities management acquisition completed in 2018.”

Read more

Serco chief hits back at New Statesman’s outsourcing jibes

New Statesman magazine cover, How Britain Lost Control, with a crowned lion held by a hand, over a city skyline.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Outsourcing
  • Serco Group

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Serco chief hits back at New Statesman’s outsourcing jibes

    Politics
    New Statesman magazine cover, How Britain Lost Control, with a crowned lion held by a hand, over a city skyline.
  • Babcock and Rolls-Royce stocks rally after Healey appointment

    Industrials
    Defence secretary John Healey is leading calls for further investment in the sector.
  • Rolls-Royce share jump as profit beats expectations

    Industrials
    Rolls-Royce is a member of the FTSE 100. Credit - Getty.
  • Balfour Beatty ups profit forecasts as it defies construction gloom

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Balfour Beatty construction site showcasing cranes, workers, and building progress against a city skyline backdrop
  • WPP slashes jobs as revenue continues to fall

    Media
    WPP has had a difficult start to the year.
  • Sage accelerates AI expansion as revenue grows

    Tech
    Newcastle-based Sage began has kicked off a £400m share buyback.
  • Man Group shares surge as assets hit record $253bn

    Investing
    Man Group is the largest hedge fund in the UK.
  • Tui hit by Middle East travel chaos and rising fuel costs

    Transport & Infrastructure
    TUI airline crew, pilots and flight attendants, smiling on aircraft stairs with the TUI tail logo in the background
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook