Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 15 June 2026 6:13 pm

Serco hits back after Zia Yusuf accuses FTSE 250 firm of being ‘hostile to Reform’

By: Simon Hunt and Mauricio Alencar

Add as a preferred source on Google
Former Chairman of Reform UK, Zia Yusuf addresses Reform UK supporters.
Chairman of Reform UK, Zia Yusuf addresses Reform UK supporters. (Photo by Lia Toby/Getty Images)

One of the UK government’s biggest private sector contractors has denied being hostile to Reform UK after the party’s home affairs spokesperson Zia Yusuf after accused it taking “political positions” against his immigration policy.

Citing a report in the Telegraph that suggested FTSE 250 firm Serco would refuse to support Reform’s deportation plans if it entered government, Yusuf suggested the company “believes itself to be an alternative power base to the duly elected government of the United Kingdom, and is willing to act contrary to the interests of the British electorate”.

“If this were true, I am sure you appreciate a Reform government would be left with no choice but to view Serco as a threat to national security,” Zusuf wrote in a letter sent to the firm and published on social media.

“We will not accept Serco or its representatives taking political positions as it suits you,” he said, adding that a Reform government would “initiate an accelerated review” of government contracts and exercise break clauses with Serco “where possible”.

But Serco denied that it had taken any policy positions or taken issue with Reform’s immigration agenda. The firm added that “inaccuracies” in the Telegraph report were changed “following our representation”.

In a statement shared with Morning Wire, the company said: “As a matter of longstanding company policy, Serco does not take political positions, nor do we comment on the policy programmes of political parties.

 “Policy decisions are matters for whatever party is in government. Serco’s responsibility is to deliver services as specified by the contracting authority as we have for the past 60 years. 

“We operate across many parts of the immigration system, including detention and preparation for removals. We would expect to offer and perform such services in the future.”

Serco operated over 100 asylum hotels

Serco, which pockets more than £1bn annually from UK government contracts, is one of the main operators of asylum hotels and wider accommodation. The other two firms involved in accommodation are London-listed Mears Group and Clearsprings Ready Homes, which is headed by the “asylum king” billionaire Graham King. 

Contracts for asylum hotels have cost the government £15.3bn in the 10 years to 2025, according to an audit report. 

Read more

Serco chief hits back at New Statesman’s outsourcing jibes

New Statesman magazine cover, How Britain Lost Control, with a crowned lion held by a hand, over a city skyline.

Asylum contractors have already come under pressure over profits gained from the agreements, with providers promising to pay back gains when they exceed five per cent. 

Yusuf’s letter and recent media reports on outsourcing are likely to add to scrutiny on procurement firms. 

The current asylum contract will run to 2029, with officials hoping to move asylum seekers from hotels into army barracks and House in Multiple Occupations (HMOs). 

Morning Wire revealed earlier this year that a crucial bidding deadline for a new contract had been pushed back, hinting at the underlying pressures facing the government and procurement affirms. 

At the end of March 2026, there were 97,519 people in receipt of asylum support, with around 20,885 staying in asylum hotels.

In an interview with Morning Wire last year, Serco chief executive Anthony Kirby said the firm was operating around 120 asylum hotels but had since reduced the number by half to align with government policy.

“Unfortunately, we don’t forecast demand, that’s the responsibility of the Home Office, but we stand ready to provide safe and secure accommodation to meet the Home Office’s demand,” Kirby said.

Addressing reports of violent protests outside some asylum hotels, Kirby said: “Clearly, the additional cost that it takes to police those protests is something for the Home Office rather than us. 

“We do have security in those hotels but we’re not responsible for the security of the perimeter or the outside of those hotels, that’s the Home Office.”

Read more

Vodafone defends migrant SIM scheme after Reform threat

Zia Yusuf at a business event, wearing a suit and tie, delivering a keynote speech in a modern conference setting

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics

People & Organisations

  • FTSE 250
  • immigration
  • Labour
  • Labour Party
  • Reform
  • Reform UK
  • Serco
  • UK economy
  • UK Government
  • Zia Yusuf

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Serco chief hits back at New Statesman’s outsourcing jibes

    Politics
    New Statesman magazine cover, How Britain Lost Control, with a crowned lion held by a hand, over a city skyline.
  • Vodafone defends migrant SIM scheme after Reform threat

    Telecoms
    Zia Yusuf at a business event, wearing a suit and tie, delivering a keynote speech in a modern conference setting
  • Farage quits to stand in ‘people versus establishment’ by-election

    Politics
    George Cottrell and Nigel Farage engaging in a conversation at a political event, both dressed in formal attire.
  • Going on holiday as Prime Minister comes at a cost

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham smiling and holding a pint of beer and a smartphone in a pub setting
  • Babcock and Rolls-Royce stocks rally after Healey appointment

    Industrials
    Defence secretary John Healey is leading calls for further investment in the sector.
  • Government urged to refuse £1bn British Steel repayment to Chinese former owner 

    Politics
    Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.
  • Barratt Redrow urges Burnham to slash tax to boost housebuilders

    Property
    Barratt and Redrow partnership announcement showcasing executives shaking hands in a modern office setting
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss as takeover pressure mounts

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook