Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 27 October 2020 1:52 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 27 October 2020 5:36 pm

Shaun Bailey vows to restore free travel for pensioners in London mayor bid

By: Poppy Wood

Add as a preferred source on Google
The 2019 Conservative Party Conference - Day 3

London mayor candidate Shaun Bailey has vowed to restore the Freedom Pass if elected as Sadiq Khan’s replacement in the 2021 mayoral election.

The Conservative party candidate told Morning Wire he has pledged to reinstate free travel for people over the age of 66, after it was suspended in June as the coronavirus crisis crippled finances at Transport for London (TfL). 

The transport body also halted free travel for 60-plus card holders at peak times, while the suspension of free bus and tram travel for under-18s has been postponed until the spring.

Bailey today said the decision “has stripped the most vulnerable Londoners of their ability to get around”, as he laid his case to replace Labour mayor Khan in next year’s election.

“Sadiq Khan’s four years of mismanagement have left TfL’s finances in a mess. The suspension of the Freedom Pass clearly shows the effect that mismanagement has on the services Londoners need,” the mayoral candidate said.

“In these challenging times, it’s our duty to look after the elderly. We cannot allow them to become isolated, unable to travel to doctors appointments or to see their friends and family,” he added.

But Khan hit back at Bailey’s claims, accusing the mayoral candidate of “scaremongering” for political gain.

Khan added that it was not his intention to scrap the Freedom Pass permanently, but a requirement as part of a government funding deal for TfL.

A spokesperson for the mayor told City A.M: “Shaun Bailey has exposed just how little he knows about free travel for older Londoners.

“[Khan] will not entertain the removal of the older person’s Freedom Pass. This is scaremongering on the part of Bailey and he should know better than to use this issue as a pawn in his political game”.

Bailey said he would roll out a two-year pay freeze for TfL staff earning more than £51,000 a year — around half of the transport body’s employees — in a bid to shore up more than £25m for the scheme. 

Read more

Nigel Farage wins in Clacton – and triggers investigation

Nigel Farage, in a striped jacket and sunglasses, speaks outside a polling station.

The Conservative candidate added that the pay freeze would not affect the lowest paid TfL staff.

More than 550 TfL staff are currently on salaries of £100,000 or more, including 53 employees who earn more than £150,000 a year.

The highest earner on last year’s pay roll on a salary of almost £520,000 was Mike Brown, the former TfL chief executive who was controversially awarded in this year’s Queen’s Birthday Honours List.

TfL crunch talks

It comes as central government and TfL have been locked in negotiations over a settlement to plug a multi-billion pound hole in the transport body’s finances, after lockdown regulations hammered revenues across the network.

Khan has asked for just shy of £5bn to keep the network running for the next 18 months. A previous support package of £1.6bn signed in May to prop up TfL throughout the pandemic is understood to have run dry.

The mayor last week accused the government of “lying” and playing “party political games” during bailout talks, sparking a tit-for-tat with the Prime Minister over the future of the ailing transport network.

Khan said he “cannot accept” conditions attached to Whitehall’s proposed bailout, which he claims include an extension to the congestion charge, above-inflation fare hikes and a back-door increase to Londoners’ Council Tax bills.

Business bodies last week blasted the government’s demands for a potential bailout as a “mockery”, accusing ministers of “railroading” policy through while the transport network is on its knees during the pandemic.

Shadow transport secretary Jim McMahon told Morning Wire it was “extremely worrying that despite repeated requests, the government is offering only a papering-over-the-cracks funding package for TfL, with such punitive conditions.”

McMahon said: “If the government gives financial support to the privately operated rail network, it is inconceivable that it does not do the same for publicly owned transport providers like TfL, which need long-term secure funding during what could be a lengthy period in which they won’t be able to operate at full capacity.”

Read more

Reform’s Richard Tice under parliamentary investigation

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage and Deputy Leader Richard Tice are set to meet with Andrew Bailey to discuss interest rates and stablecoins.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics

Related Topics

  • Coronavirus
  • Sadiq Khan

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Nigel Farage wins in Clacton – and triggers investigation

    Politics
    Nigel Farage, in a striped jacket and sunglasses, speaks outside a polling station.
  • Reform’s Richard Tice under parliamentary investigation

    Politics
    Reform UK leader Nigel Farage and Deputy Leader Richard Tice are set to meet with Andrew Bailey to discuss interest rates and stablecoins.
  • Chelsea fans stunned as ticket sharing equated with sexual misconduct

    Sport Business
    Crowds of fans gather outside the Chelsea FC stadium on a sunny day, with a Matchday Programmes On Sale sign visible.
  • The Debate: Is Count Binface funny?

    Opinion
    Count Binface in his distinctive silver bin helmet and black armored suit, giving two thumbs up.
  • London IPO candidate Utmost sees inflows slide

    Investing
    Pedestrians walk across a modern pedestrian bridge with steel cables and supports over brown water.
  • Policing alone won’t solve London’s shoplifting epidemic

    Opinion
    Shoplifting incident in retail store with security camera footage showing suspect concealing merchandise in jacket
  • Bring football home: let London host the Super Bowl

    Opinion
    NFL player in green #22 jersey with arms raised, emerging through smoke onto the field at NFL London Games.
  • The decline of Harvey Nichols is a tale of London’s decline too

    Opinion
    Harvey Nichols department store at night, illuminated with neon signs and colorful window displays.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook