Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 29 June 2026 8:01 am  |  Updated:  Monday 29 June 2026 9:59 am

‘Sh*tloads to come’: London takeover spree set to accelerate

By: Charlie Conchie, Simon Hunt and Samuel Norman

Add as a preferred source on Google
GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector
Trading in the City on the London Stock Exchange is higher than thought.

At a gathering of some of London’s top bankers in Canada last week, the mood was one of uncertainty. 

On the one hand, London’s dealmakers are not in want of work. In the past two weeks alone Easyjet has opened the door to an approach from American private equity firm Castlelake, Ramsdens agreed to a takeover by US rival Firstcash and FTSE 100 Segro rejected a £12.6bn approach from Californian real estate investor Prologis.

The value of agreed takeovers of London-listed firms this year now sits at $34.8bn, according to data from LSEG, nearly double that of the take-privates across the entirety of last year. Combined with a dearth of new firms coming to market, the takeover spree is proving a hard thing to celebrate for City bankers.

“There was a sense of ‘is this good?’,” said one banker. “It’s all well and good selling the family silver. But not if you’ve got no way of rebuilding the wealth.”

The London Stock Exchange has been drained in recent years by a raid on its listed firms and a drought of new companies listing. And while the number of bids on listed firms is broadly flat compared to last year, the size of companies attracting them has increased sharply. 

A total of five FTSE 100 firms have agreed to takeovers including Schroders, Intertek and Beazley in 2026. Foreign buyers are picking up Britain’s biggest companies on the cheap – and while there are fees on offer for advisors, bankers are fretting over the consequences

“If you put your mum’s wedding ring on Ebay, you start to look a bit desperate,” the banker said.

Foreign buyers paying a premium

Analysts point to years of outflows from UK equity funds and sluggish valuations as the primary cause of the exodus from the market.

Of 29 bids announced so far this year, the offer price has come in at an average premium of 36 per cent, according to Peel Hunt. Some of the biggest deals of the year have come in well above that – Intertek and Beazley were picked off at a roughly 60 per cent premium.

“Deals happen. That’s capitalism. But why do overseas buyers consistently value great British growing companies so much more highly than domestic investors?,” asked James Ashton, chief of the Quoted Companies Alliance after the announcement of the Ramsdens deal earlier this week.

There are tentative signs the tide may be turning – UK equity funds saw their first net inflows since November 2024 in May, according to data from Calastone – but City figures say the trend will continue if domestic British investors do not begin to back homegrown firms.

Read more

Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 

Speaking to Morning Wire this week, Andy Haldane, an adviser to Andy Burnham and chair of the British Chamber of Commerce, lamented the trend of firms being “plucked off by overseas foreign raiders” and suggested ministers should use the tax system to push British investors towards domestic investment. 

A “tilting of the playing field” in the tax system, may help nudge domestic investors towards a domestic bias, he said, adding there was a “million and one ways in which you can go about that”. The government has already been forced to row back on a mandate power that would allow ministers to force pension funds to back British companies.

‘Going to get worse before it gets worse than that’

Bankers are hoping that a crop of new listings may help replenish the market and shift the mood around London after the summer.

A number of deals including Waterstones, fintech firm SumUp and Indian payments company Airtel Money may look to debut in the post-summer window, City sources say.

But a revival in Initial public offerings (IPOs) has so far been curtailed by volatility brought on by the war in Iran and the threat posed by AI to tech and software firms.

Visma, the Hg-owned software company, had been expected to list in London in the first quarter at a valuation of around $20bn but the deal has been postponed until next year at the earliest due to the global rout in software stocks, sources told Morning Wire. 

Travel firm Love Holidays also paused its IPO plans due to the turmoil triggered by the war in Iran, sources said, though it may revive the plans later in the year.

For now, the takeover spree is expected to gather pace. Patrick Sarch, head of Public M&A at law firm White & Case, said the impending change of Prime Minister may spur companies to move now before markets are shaken by a raft of new policies.

“Things are going to get worse before they get even worse than that,” he said. “That’s a reason to get your deal done sooner rather than later.”

Gareth McCartney, global Head of capital markets origination at UBS, said the deals offensive underscored the quality of UK firms and “should be seen as a vote of confidence in the long term UK macro outlook”.

But for the banker who attended the City gathering last week, only one thing was clear about London’s recent deals spree: “There’s a sh*tload more to come.”

Read more

FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

People & Organisations

  • Beazley
  • Foreign takeovers
  • ftse 100
  • Intertek
  • London
  • London Stock Exchange
  • Mergers and acquisitions (M&A)
  • Schroders
  • Takeovers

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • London’s IPO lull expected to last into 2027

    Markets
    The London Stock Exchange has had a challenging 2024 so far, although bankers are eying a rebound for IPOs
  • Cavendish taps top adviser to fend off foreign takeover interest

    Advisory
    St Pauls Cathedral in London, framed by modern glass buildings under a clear sky, near Cavendishs base
  • Apollo snaps up Easyjet after Castlelake walks away

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Easyjet extends window for another Castlelake bid

    Aviation
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
  • Exclusive: Easyjet shareholder rights to be watered down under Apollo deal

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss after takeover bid

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook